Norwich City seal Jackson's signature
David Cuffley Striker Simeon Jackson was today understood to have signed for Norwich City in a �600,000 move from Gillingham. The 23-year-old Jackson is reported to have flown to Germany to join the Canaries at their pre-season training camp.
Striker Simeon Jackson was today understood to have signed for Norwich City in a �600,000 move from Gillingham.
The 23-year-old Jackson is reported to have flown to Germany to join the Canaries at their pre-season training camp.
The Canadian international has agreed a three-year deal with City after scoring 17 goals last season for the Kent club, who were relegated from League One.
You may also want to watch:
Striker Cody McDonald, who was in the City squad in Germany, looks set to join the Gills on a season-long loan as part of the deal.
The fee for Jackson is reported to be �600,000 rising to �1 million.
- 1 Webber reveals he turned down 'massive job' to stay at City
- 2 Spurs loanee Skipp discusses his future and potential of Canaries return
- 3 PRESSER LIVE: City v Watford - Hanley, Pukki, Cantwell injury doubts
- 4 'I am really happy here' - City star Buendia not worried about speculation
- 5 'Good riddance' - Norwich fans react to European Super League plans
- 6 'Big Six' join European Super League 24 hours after City's promotion
- 7 Six things you might have missed after City's promotion party
- 8 'I rate him. He's a fantastic player' - Farke open to Skipp return
- 9 “It was high on Ben and it was a red card' - Giannoulis bang to rights for Woodgate
- 10 'A wonderful season' - Praise pours in for City from legends and pundits
Gillingham manager Andy Hessenthaler said: “Simeon's not here because there has been a development.
“It looks like he's going to go. There will be confirmation by the end of the week I think or maybe before.”
City boss Paul Lambert said at the weekend he was still hoping to add one more signing to his six summer recruits, and added that he hoped to fly the player to Germany if a deal was completed in time.
Jamaican-born Jackson was entering the final year of his current Priestfield deal but Gillingham were determined not to let him leave on the cheap.
City were reported to have had an earlier bid of �500,000 turned down, with Championship rivals Millwall and Queens Park Rangers and League One title favourites Southampton also tracking Jackson, as well as relegated Plymouth and Peterborough.
Before the deal was completed, Hessenthaler said: “We don't want to stand in Simeon's way but he appreciates it's got to be right for both parties - but I'm sure that something will happen sooner or later.
“You need to have two ways of thinking. If he stays then we want to bring someone in with him as we haven't got loads of options. If he goes, then we may need to look to bring two in, it all depends on what type of finance we get.”
Hessenthaler omitted Jackson from Gillingham's first two pre-season friendlies and Lambert hinted at the weekend he had been frustrated in his attempts to bolster his strike force.
“We tried and it has not materialised at the minute and we will see what happens in the next week,” he said, after Saturday's game at Dereham. “It's not gone, we just have to wait and see. We can only do what we can do due to finances - I'll see what we can do.”
Jackson spent four years at Rushden & Diamonds before moving on to Gillingham but his 17 goals last season failed to preserve the Gills' League One status.
McDonald has scored five times in 32 appearances for City since arriving from Dartford in 2009.