Norwich City should keep Cameron Jerome, says Canaries’ legend
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City must think carefully before letting Cameron Jerome leave this summer, says a man who knows a thing or two about scoring goals – Canaries legend Iwan Roberts.
City are reportedly considering cashing in on Jerome as part of their summer squad rebuild, with relegated top-flight sides Middlesbrough and Sunderland touted as possible destinations.
That comes despite the 30-year-old scoring 16 goals last season to finish as City’s top scorer – with only six players scoring more than him in the Championship.
No player has scored more goals in the second tier for Norwich than Roberts’ total of 84 but Jerome is now 10th in that list having scored a total of 36 Championship goals.
“Cam didn’t score many in the season in the Premier League but he’s a proven goal-scorer at Championship level, he proved it again last season,” the former Wales centre-forward said.
You may also want to watch:
“I think him and Nelson Oliveira could be quite formidable next year. Whether they play one up front or go with both, we don’t know what Farke’s going to do yet but I would try and keep Cameron because he’s a 20-goal striker if he plays regularly.”
Jerome had to share the role of lone striker with Oliveira last season, the 25-year-old scoring 12 in 30 games but seeing his campaign affected by a three-game suspension and a month out with a foot injury. The Portugal international looks set to play a key role under new head coach Daniel Farke though, as City try and bounce back from the disappointment of finishing eighth and 10 points adrift of the top six.
- 1 MATCHDAY RECAP: Canaries beaten by Barnsley in FA Cup
- 2 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 1-0 FA Cup defeat against Barnsley
- 3 Farke's injury fears for Hugill after Barnsley FA Cup loss
- 4 Norwich City transfer rumours: Swindon hoping to sign Omotoye on loan
- 5 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Barnsley defeat
- 6 STARTING XIs: Hernandez starts as City make five changes for FA Cup tie
- 7 Energetic Barnsley dump disjointed Norwich side out of the FA Cup
- 8 'Concentrate on the league klaxon' - City fans express disappointment at FA Cup exit
- 9 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries interested in Luton midfielder
- 10 Norwich City transfer rumours: Buendia 'talks' over summer Arsenal move
That continued with the fourth new signing in less than three weeks as defender Christoph Zimmermann arrived on Friday.
“I think it’s exciting times with all the changes going on at the football club with Stuart Webber coming in and taking the club in a new direction, which I think they needed to do,” added Roberts, who writes a weekly column for this newspaper during the season.
“With the new head coach coming in hopefully that will freshen things up with some new ideas and they can have a good start to the season.”
n Roberts is the latest player to feature on our NCFC top 100 appearances summer series, see inside for a look back on his Canaries career with the man himself