Norwich City sign Peterborough's Russell Martin on loan
Norwich City have signed Peterborough United right-back Russell Martin in an emergency loan deal until 4th January. Peterborough have given permission for Martin to play in both the Johnstone's Paint Trophy and the FA Cup, so he is available for selection for Saturday's cup clash away to Carlisle United (5.15pm).
Norwich City have signed Peterborough United right-back Russell Martin in an emergency loan deal until 4th January.
Peterborough have given permission for Martin to play in both the Johnstone's Paint Trophy and the FA Cup, so he is available for selection for Saturday's cup clash away to Carlisle United (5.15pm).
On the capture of Martin, manager Paul Lambert told the club's official website: "I had him as a player at Wycombe and he did brilliantly for me there. When I was leaving Wycombe at the time he came to me and said he had the opportunity to join Peterborough, which he went on to do and again he has been brilliant from them. Captaining them to promotion shows he has resilience and that winning mentality which is what we have here.
"He is coming in to a vibrant squad and it is up to him now to stake his claim for a place in the team."
You may also want to watch:
The 23-year-old joined Peterborough from Wycombe Wanderers in the summer of 2008 having previously started his career at his home-town club of Brighton & Hove Albion.
Martin made a total of 142 appearances in all competitions for Wycombe, scoring five goals and reaching the 2007-08 play-off semi-finals under Paul Lambert, where they lost 2-1 on aggregate to Stockport County.
- 1 'I am not injured. I'm just no longer wanted' - Drmic makes his case
- 2 Six things you might have missed after City suffered late heartbreak to draw with Coventry
- 3 Farke admits injury crisis is 'surreal'
- 4 Former City midfielder heads Down Under
- 5 IN FULL: Norwich City's unprecedented injury list
- 6 Chris Goreham: The school field trip that Zimmermann could do without
- 7 Norwich City Debate Recap: Academy prospects to fill in, loan break clauses and Drmic all discussed
- 8 Norwich City kick-off times changed due to TV coverage
- 9 'I want to create history' - Farke reveals mission to build a legacy at Norwich City
- 10 Canaries drawn to face Coventry City at Carrow Road in FA Cup third round
His move to London Road saw him become a first team regular at right-back, and in his first season with the Posh he captained the club to automatic promotion to the Coca-Cola Championship.
He has made 66 appearances for Peterborough in all competitions, scoring one goal.
Speaking about the move Martin said: "The main thing is, it is such a big club that when I knew they were interested it was a major factor in me wanting to join. Also I worked with Paul (Lambert), Ian (Culverhouse) and Gary (Karsa) at Wycombe and really enjoyed my time there."
Reflecting on his memorable first season with Posh, Martin said: "I had a great season with Peterborough as captain as we got promoted so I know what a tough league this is to get out of. But I believe in Norwich, there is a club with the momentum and the desire to achieve promotion."