Idah creates winner as Ireland U21s strengthen qualification hopes
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City striker Adam Idah set up the winner as the Republic of Ireland Under-21s kept their European Championship qualification hopes on track.
Zach Elbouzedi scored the only goal in the 63rd minute as the Irish won 1-0 in Armenia this afternoon, with Canaries striker using his pace to break free on the right and crossing low, allowing Elbouzedi to thump in the crucial goal.
Ireland dominated the game and peppered the hosts' goal with efforts throughout the game but there was a nervy finish after Dara O'Shea was sent off in the 76th minute.
That led to Idah being replaced 10 minutes later but fellow Norwich academy hopeful Simon Power, currently on loan in Scotland at Ross County, remained an unused substitute.
It was a fourth victory in six games for Stephen Kenny's team, who sit top of Group One, having played more games than qualification rivals Iceland, Italy and Sweden.
You may also want to watch:
Next up is a home game against the Swedes at the Tallaght Stadium in Dublin on Tuesday (8pm), as qualification for the 2021 finals heats up.
Idah, still just 18 year old, made his senior debut for City in the League Cup earlier this season when he played all of a shock 1-0 loss away to League Two side Crawley. He signed a new contract in July, committing until 2023.
The Cork native has scored four goals in 10 games for Ireland's U21s after a prolific record at lower youth levels in recent years.
- 1 Norwich City transfer rumours: Swindon hoping to sign Omotoye on loan
- 2 Farke's injury fears for Hugill after Barnsley FA Cup loss
- 3 No panic buy for Canaries after Hugill injury blow
- 4 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Barnsley defeat
- 5 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 1-0 FA Cup defeat against Barnsley
- 6 Rusty returns could prove crucial in the long run for fit-again City stars
- 7 'Concentrate on the league klaxon' - City fans express disappointment at FA Cup exit
- 8 Paddy Davitt verdict: Cup finals aplenty if City seal the deal
- 9 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries interested in Luton midfielder
- 10 Farke's words of advice for Soto