City striker’s loan at Reading suffers another injury setback ahead of possible summer exit
- Credit: JASONPIX
Norwich City’s hopes to get Nelson Oliveira scoring ahead of a potential summer sale have been dealt another blow, with the striker’s Reading loan again disrupted by injury.
The 27-year-old recently made a rapid return from a hamstring injury but saw the same injury force him to limp off just five minutes into Monday’s 0-0 home draw with West Brom.
That follows on from a horror injury in the Portugal international’s second game for the Berkshire club, when Aston Villa defender Tyrone Mings trampled on his face in a challenge, leaving the former Benfica man needing facial surgery on deep gashes.
While Monday’s point has effectively sealed survival for the Royals, Oliveira looks unlikely to feature again this season, having scored three goals in 10 games during his loan – with fellow striker Yakou Meite also forced off during the game with a hamstring issue.
“It’s a big pity for them,” manager Jose Gomes told Get Reading. “Nelson made a big effort to be with us after the stamp on his face.
“He ran against the doctor’s advice and when he got his hamstring injury the doctor said his season was finished and he would be out for 10 weeks. But he found a way to recover quicker and came back to help us.
You may also want to watch:
“The same happened with Meite (hamstring injury) – he was in a very good moment so we’ll see what happens with them.
“It will be very difficult for both players to play the next game.”
- 1 MATCHDAY LIVE: Norwich City complete their double over Cardiff
- 2 Farke reveals Buendia concerns and fitness updates on Pukki and Krul after 2-1 Cardiff win
- 3 STARTING XIs: Pukki missing for City as Barden starts at Cardiff
- 4 City squad can expect long term disruption due to Covid impact
- 5 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-1 Championship win against Cardiff City
- 6 Farke's advice for Barden ahead of red letter day
- 7 City boss on Quintilla future amid Giannoulis pursuit
- 8 Cardiff City v Norwich City - all you need to know
- 9 No Pukki no problem for Canaries as they move seven points clear at the top
- 10 City edging closer to deal for Giannoulis
Oliveira scored 20 goals in 70 games for Norwich but hasn’t played since the final game of last season, with a year still to run on his contract.
It looks unlikely he will return to the fold at City under head coach Daniel Farke, particularly with City on the verge of promotion to the Premier League, and Reading boss Gomes has already suggested a potential permanent switch is possible.
“I would like Oliveira to stay with us next season,” the Portuguese coach said last month. “I don’t know if that will be possible. He might have Premier League proposals. But we have an amount agreed with Norwich that we can buy him.”