City striker’s loan at Reading suffers another injury setback ahead of possible summer exit
- Credit: JASONPIX
Norwich City’s hopes to get Nelson Oliveira scoring ahead of a potential summer sale have been dealt another blow, with the striker’s Reading loan again disrupted by injury.
The 27-year-old recently made a rapid return from a hamstring injury but saw the same injury force him to limp off just five minutes into Monday’s 0-0 home draw with West Brom.
That follows on from a horror injury in the Portugal international’s second game for the Berkshire club, when Aston Villa defender Tyrone Mings trampled on his face in a challenge, leaving the former Benfica man needing facial surgery on deep gashes.
While Monday’s point has effectively sealed survival for the Royals, Oliveira looks unlikely to feature again this season, having scored three goals in 10 games during his loan – with fellow striker Yakou Meite also forced off during the game with a hamstring issue.
“It’s a big pity for them,” manager Jose Gomes told Get Reading. “Nelson made a big effort to be with us after the stamp on his face.
“He ran against the doctor’s advice and when he got his hamstring injury the doctor said his season was finished and he would be out for 10 weeks. But he found a way to recover quicker and came back to help us.
You may also want to watch:
“The same happened with Meite (hamstring injury) – he was in a very good moment so we’ll see what happens with them.
“It will be very difficult for both players to play the next game.”
- 1 MATCHDAY RECAP: Dowell stunner puts City on cusp of promotion
- 2 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' spirited 1-0 Championship win against Derby County
- 3 'Our only concern' - Farke reveals City's promotion roadmap
- 4 Farke makes a pact with City squad
- 5 Premier League here we come for City chief Farke
- 6 Stiepermann opens up about health problems
- 7 City boss too busy to worry about his contract at the moment
- 8 Farke on Canaries records, Rooney and respecting the Rams
- 9 Norwich City transfer rumours: Prolific Greek international in Canaries' sights
- 10 Farke hopes 'outstanding' City midfielder can shake off injury issues
Oliveira scored 20 goals in 70 games for Norwich but hasn’t played since the final game of last season, with a year still to run on his contract.
It looks unlikely he will return to the fold at City under head coach Daniel Farke, particularly with City on the verge of promotion to the Premier League, and Reading boss Gomes has already suggested a potential permanent switch is possible.
“I would like Oliveira to stay with us next season,” the Portuguese coach said last month. “I don’t know if that will be possible. He might have Premier League proposals. But we have an amount agreed with Norwich that we can buy him.”