Norwich City striker Nelson Oliveira earns Portugal recall for World Cup qualifiers
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Nelson Oliveira has been recalled into the Portugal squad for the first time since becoming a Norwich City player.
The Canaries striker has 16 caps to his name already but has not represented his country since featuring as a late substitute in a 2-0 friendly win in Luxembourg in November 2015, when he was on loan at Nottingham Forest from Benfica.
The 26-year-old has scored three goals in four games for City so far this season but has been struggling with a groin issue, which makes him a doubt for Saturday’s Championship match at Millwall ahead of the international break.
That has not prevented Fernando Santos naming the talented forward in his squad – alongside big names including Real Madrid stars Cristiano Ronaldo and Fábio Coentrão – for two upcoming World Cup qualifiers.
Portugal host the Faroe Islands on Thursday, August 31 (7.45pm) in Group B qualifying, before travelling to Hungary on Sunday, September 3 (7.45pm).
You may also want to watch:
Oliveira has scored 15 goals in 34 games since joining for around £5million in August 2016, after previous loan spells with Forest, Swansea, Rennes and Deportivo.
The Barcelos-born striker was capped at all youth levels by his country when he was younger but he now has another chance to impress after finding stability in Norfolk.
- 1 City's Giannoulis move enters the end game
- 2 "He has all the attributes" - Former coach backs Giannoulis to succeed with Norwich
- 3 Six things you might have missed after Norwich City's victory in Cardiff
- 4 Paddy Davitt verdict: Relentless City operating on a different level
- 5 City keeper issues injury update
- 6 'My journey has been life-changing' - Cantwell reflects on three years since his City debut
- 7 Canaries captain hails 'outstanding' display from Hugill
- 8 'Best team in the league' - Harris raves about Canaries
- 9 City Q&A recap: What does Giannoulis signing mean for Quintilla?
- 10 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 2-1 Cardiff win