Norwich City striker Nelson Oliveira earns Portugal recall for World Cup qualifiers
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Nelson Oliveira has been recalled into the Portugal squad for the first time since becoming a Norwich City player.
The Canaries striker has 16 caps to his name already but has not represented his country since featuring as a late substitute in a 2-0 friendly win in Luxembourg in November 2015, when he was on loan at Nottingham Forest from Benfica.
The 26-year-old has scored three goals in four games for City so far this season but has been struggling with a groin issue, which makes him a doubt for Saturday’s Championship match at Millwall ahead of the international break.
That has not prevented Fernando Santos naming the talented forward in his squad – alongside big names including Real Madrid stars Cristiano Ronaldo and Fábio Coentrão – for two upcoming World Cup qualifiers.
Portugal host the Faroe Islands on Thursday, August 31 (7.45pm) in Group B qualifying, before travelling to Hungary on Sunday, September 3 (7.45pm).
You may also want to watch:
Oliveira has scored 15 goals in 34 games since joining for around £5million in August 2016, after previous loan spells with Forest, Swansea, Rennes and Deportivo.
The Barcelos-born striker was capped at all youth levels by his country when he was younger but he now has another chance to impress after finding stability in Norfolk.
- 1 Delight for Buendia after Argentina call-up
- 2 Norwich City transfer rumours: Premier League forward in Canaries' sights
- 3 'I'd like to think Norwich have their eyes on somebody' - Ashton on striker hunt
- 4 WATCH: In-form City loanee Drmic scores a cracker
- 5 'He's not an ego' - Delia on the man she worships at Norwich City
- 6 Celtic move came too early for Pukki, insists former boss
- 7 City Q&A - Paddy answered your questions
- 8 City draw up target list
- 9 Norwich City ace features in trailer for Euro 2020
- 10 Why Delia and Michael believe Norwich City can 'change the face of football'