Norwich City to host League One side Charlton Athletic in Carabao Cup second round
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City have been handed another home draw in the League Cup, against League One side Charlton Athletic.
In a shambolic televised draw which initially showed City to be the away side, it eventually transpired that the Canaries were at home in the second round of the competition, now named the Carabao Cup.
The Carrow Road tie is scheduled to be played in the week commencing Monday, August 21, between Championship trips to Aston Villa on Saturday, August 19 and Millwall on Saturday, August 26 for the Canaries.
Daniel Farke’s side played Charlton recently in the penultimate match of their pre-season preparations, winning 2-0 at The Valley thanks to goals from Yanic Wildschut and Steven Naismith.
Karl Robinson’s team subsequently thrashed Ipswich 6-1 in their final friendly and have won both their opening fixtures of the season, winning 1-0 at home to Bristol Rovers in the league and 2-1 at League Two side Exeter City in the first round of the Carabao Cup.
You may also want to watch:
“We had a really hard game at Charlton a few weeks ago,” Farke told City’s website following the draw.
“They are a very ambitious team. Being away would have made it harder, so we are pleased to be at home. We are full of respect for them but want to go into the third round.”
- 1 City's Giannoulis move enters the end game
- 2 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 2-1 Cardiff win
- 3 Farke reveals Buendia concerns and fitness updates on Pukki and Krul after 2-1 Cardiff win
- 4 Paddy Davitt verdict: Relentless City operating on a different level
- 5 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-1 Championship win against Cardiff City
- 6 'My journey has been life-changing' - Cantwell reflects on three years since his City debut
- 7 Hugill stepped up when Norwich City needed him with determined display at Cardiff
- 8 'We need to pull our weight' - City skipper relieved to end his goal drought
- 9 Watch extended highlights of Norwich City's win at Cardiff
- 10 'As good as I've seen him!' - City fans laud Cantwell performance
The Canaries have faced the Addicks in the League Cup on four occasions in the past, winning all of the ties, all of which were in the second round and played over two legs – in 1981-82, with City winning 1-0 home and away, and 1991-92, when Norwich won 2-0 away and 3-0 at home.
The 13 Premier League clubs who have not qualified for European competitions were in the draw, but City were seeded so couldn’t have been drawn against a top-flight side.
Norwich knocked out League Two side Swindon at Carrow Road on Tuesday, thanks to a narrow 3-2 victory through goals from Cameron Jerome, Wes Hoolahan and James Maddison. It was the first time the Canaries had entered the competition – which they won in 1962 and 1985 – in the first round since 2010.
Last season City impressively won 2-0 at Everton to progress to the fourth round, before losing on penalties at Leeds after a 2-2 draw.