Norwich City top Championship Twibbon table
They may have missed out on the Championship title to QPR, but Norwich City’s loyal band of followers have ensured that their team is streets ahead when it comes to showing their colours online.
More than 3,700 City fans from every corner of the globe are displaying the famous Canary badge on their profiles on social networking site Twitter - nearly 3,000 more than their closest rivals Nottingham Forest.
The Norwich City Twibbon - small logos that can be set up by anyone with a cause they support - was created by fan Matt Ware (@mattjware) at the start of the club’s title-winning League One season.
Since then, high-profile City fans including Stephen Fry, Sky Sports presenter Simon Thomas and BBC F1 presenter Jake Humphrey have downloaded the logo.
At the time of writing, 3,706 fans have shown their support for City as the club surged from near the foot of League One to the Premier League in less than two incredible years.
You may also want to watch:
Second in the unoffical Championship league table are Nottingham Forest, with 760, followed by Leeds United’s 484. Ipswich Town have struggled to 400, while league champions QPR have only mustered 363 and one-time promotion rivals Cardiff City have just 247. Third-placed Swansea City languish in the bottom three, with only 77 fans showing their colours on Twitter.
Matt, a Carrow Road season ticket holder who sang On The Ball City on the Fourth Plinth in Trafalgar Square as part of Antony Gormley’s human artwork One and Other, said it was just more evidence of the club’s phenomenal support.
- 1 MATCHDAY LIVE: Norwich City complete their double over Cardiff
- 2 City squad can expect long term disruption due to Covid impact
- 3 STARTING XIs: Pukki missing for City as Barden starts at Cardiff
- 4 City boss on Quintilla future amid Giannoulis pursuit
- 5 Farke's advice for Barden ahead of red letter day
- 6 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-1 Championship win against Cardiff City
- 7 'The Norwich fans are probably fuming' - Skipp on being Mr Popular
- 8 PRESSER LIVE: Cardiff City v Norwich City - Quintilla & Mumba test positive for Covid; Krul still out
- 9 Cardiff City v Norwich City - all you need to know
- 10 City edging closer to deal for Giannoulis
“Obviously it helps when Stephen Fry tweets to more than two and a half million followers, but it still says a lot about the passion for the club that so many people are proud to show their colours,” he said.
“And this didn’t start when we were top of League One - I set up the Twibbon just after we’d lost 7-1 to Colchester.
“Maybe because of our location and because Norfolk is a one-club county, Norwich fans are among the most passionate and loyal in the country, and any Premier League clubs thinking ‘little Norwich’ will be a pushover on or off the pitch next season are in for a shock.”
Among Premier League clubs, only Arsenal, Manchester City and Liverpool have more fans than City showing their colours on Twitter.
• Twibbon Championship
Norwich City 3,706
Nottingham Forest 760
Leeds United 484
Leicester City 441
Ipswich Town 400
Hull City 288
Sheffield United 278
Cardiff City 247
Derby County 191
Crystal Palace 163
Coventry City 124
Bristol City 79
Preston North End 78
Swansea City 77
Doncaster Rovers 51
Scunthorpe United 40