Norwich City transfer rumours: Amadou close to signing but Chelsea midfielder is also linked
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Midfield reinforcement looks to be the main focus for Norwich City ahead of transfer deadline day, with Sevilla’s defensive enforcer Ibrahim Amadou reportedly close to signing.
Chelsea's out-of-favour England international Danny Drinkwater is another deep-lying midfielder linked in the past 24 hours, while Watford's highly-rated Nathaniel Chalobah is also said to be a target.
A report in Seville newspaper Estadio Deportivo on Sunday suggested Norwich were keen on French 26-year-old Amadou, as well as defender Joris Gnagnon.
That same newspaper is now reporting that a season-long loan is imminent, for a fee of around £1million, with the option for a permanent switch at the end of the loan for around another £9m.
Amadou was signed from French side Lille last year for a reported fee of around £12m, has three years left on his Sevilla contract and was a regular in La Liga and the Europa League last season, making 32 appearances in all competitions after missing parts of the first three months of the season through injury.
Respected French newspaper L'Equipe is also reporting that Amadou will fly to Norwich today, having also been in talks with Aston Villa and Club Brugges.
The Daily Mail claim that Norwich are rivalling Brighton for the signing of former Leicester title winner Drinkwater, who was signed two years ago for around £35m and has three England caps - ahead of Thursday's 5pm transfer deadline.
You may also want to watch:
The 29-year-old was completely out of favour under Maurizio Sarri last season, with his only appearance coming in the Community Shield at the start of the campaign.
VERDICT: With Alex Tettey not able to feature at all during pre-season, some added midfield steel would be very welcome ahead of the Premier League challenge.
- 1 NORWICH CITY ARE PROMOTED TO THE PREMIER LEAGUE
- 2 PROMOTION LIVE: Cherries and red card ruin City's party
- 3 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Premier League-bound Canaries' 3-1 defeat against Bournemouth
- 4 Farke braced for summer of speculation amid Frankfurt links
- 5 Banning orders and revenge mission wide of the mark for City chief
- 6 'Mission Accomplished' - Norwich City fans celebrate promotion
- 7 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 3-1 Bournemouth defeat
- 8 Operation Bounce Back: The story of City's promotion success
- 9 City’s big chance to prove there is ‘one team that stands out’
- 10 Farke savours sweet Premier League promotion after rollercoaster ride
Amadou looks to have the calibre required to make him a good signing and even a potential Tettey successor, with the 33-year-old due to be out of contract next summer.
In both cases the wages that are involved are likely to make a deal challenging, particularly with Drinkwater who is reportedly on as much as £100,000 a week, yet an initial loan for Amadou makes a lot more sense.
Drinkwater was a key part of Leicester's 2016 fairytale, forming a great relationship with Jamie Vardy, scoring three goals and assisting eight during that campaign.
Chalobah would make a fine loan signing as well, if he can regain full fitness. The 24-year-old was very well regarded by England and Chelsea at youth levels and has shown signs of his capabilities in the Premier League already.
The reality is that City will only need one of the three to compete with Tom Trybull and Tettey though, with Louis Thompson's injury issues making it likely he will need a loan.