Norwich City transfer rumours: Bundesliga clubs and Canaries interested in German left-back
- Credit: Archant
Norwich City are reportedly tracking Freiburg left-back Chima Okoroji, who is said to be impressing in Bundesliga Two.
The 22-year-old is on loan at SSV Jahn Regensburg and scored his first goal of the season in a 3-3 home draw with VFL Osnabruck on Friday, putting his side 3-1 up with a fine finish after running clean through on goal.
According to Transfermarkt.co.uk sources the Canaries and Bayer Leverkusen were among the clubs to have scouts watching Okoroji during that match.
The defender was born in Munich but has English citizenship through his mother, coming through the academy systems of Bayern Munich and FC Augsburg before moving to Freiburg in 2017.
He mainly featured for Freiburg's second team in the fourth tier but did make two Bundesliga appearances last season, starting a 5-1 home win over former club Augsburg in February before an injury brought a premature end to his campaign.
You may also want to watch:
A season-long loan has followed, scoring once and assisting twice during 13 appearances so far for Regensburg, who sit seventh in the Bundesliga Two table - playing every minute of the league season so far.
VERDICT: It's highly likely City will be scouting Bundesliga Two with so many players brought across from Germany during Daniel Farke and Stuart Webber's reign.
- 1 'I wanted to bring Norwich back' - Emi reveals why he stayed at City
- 2 PRESSER LIVE: City v Bournemouth - Emi fit, Rupp out for the season
- 3 Frankfurt speculation just the start of uncertain period for City boss
- 4 Farke's personal message to City fans
- 5 City boss has found his job 'even harder' than title-winning season
- 6 Iwan Roberts: My one regret over Canaries' 2004 promotion
- 7 'Bring it on', says Bournemouth boss
- 8 Former City coach leaves England U21 post
- 9 City hungry to be record breakers, insists Krul
- 10 Ian Clarke: Seven reasons why Norwich City will survive in top flight
That Okoroji is a left-back is interesting though, with Philip Heise seemingly struggling to force his way into first-team contention since his January switch from Dynamo Dresden.
The 28-year-old's only senior appearance was during a shock League Cup defeat away to League Two side Crawley in August, featuring regularly in under-23 matches since that night but only making the bench for two Premier League games.
With Northern Ireland international Jamal Lewis linked with clubs including Bournemouth, Burnley and West Ham in the past, the 21-year-old could well be a target for Premier League rivals in January.
Beyond Lewis and Heise however the options are limited, with James Husband loaned to Blackpool and his contract set to expire at the end of the season.
Caleb Richards has recently concluded a season-long loan with Tampa Bay Rowdies in the second tier of US football but is expected to head out on loan again in January, and 17-year-old Belgium youth international Rob Nizet was signed this summer.
The link follows on from the Canaries being linked to Hearts left-back Aaron Hickey, who has been a regular in the Scottish Premiership at just 17 years old this season.
- You can watch Okoroji's goal against Osnabruck in the video above