Norwich City transfer rumours: International midfielder opts for loan switch in France
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Luxembourg international midfielder Vincent Thill has reportedly rejected interest from Norwich City and sealed a fresh loan move in France.
Renowned French newspaper L'equipe have reported that the 19-year-old turned down approaches from the Canaries and Dutch side Vitesse Arnhem.
Sports radio station RMC now claim Thill will join French second-tier side Orleans, with his parent club set for top-flight action following promotion. Last season the youngster was starring in the third tier with 12 goals in 28 games for Pau.
He has previously been linked with interest from German giants Bayern Munich, having made his international debut at 16 and picked up 23 caps for minnows Luxembourg so far.
Thill will reportedly join on a season-long loan, with no permanent option negotiated, as his Metz contract is due to run until 2021.
Another young midfielder linked with Norwich this summer, Luca Connell, has sealed his move to Scottish champions Celtic.
You may also want to watch:
The Republic of Ireland youth international was said to be interesting a host of clubs due to Bolton's financial troubles, with £250,000 due in compensation but Wanderers administrators revealed Celtic paid "substantially more" to secure the 18-year-old's signing.
VERDICT: It's believed Norwich would have seen both players as additions to their under-23 squad initially, with the potential of a loan to the Championship or a similar level to continue their development.
- 1 Norwich City star tipped to reject move to Tottenham
- 2 City midfielder returns to Norfolk after loan spell terminated
- 3 Bushiri completes Eupen loan
- 4 Placheta must kick on at City
- 5 Cantwell explains why he wears different coloured boots and why City is in his DNA
- 6 Giannoulis deal proof City can navigate difficult transfer market
- 7 City striker seals Swindon loan move; Hugill injury boost
- 8 Lambert and Ipswich in crisis: Do you care, City fans?
- 9 Giannoulis in contention for Boro clash - as City secure work permit
- 10 'That's my dream' - Giannoulis hopes his style will boost City's promotion hopes
Connell is a defensive midfielder who made the breakthrough at Bolton but will have a much better chance of regular first-team football with Celtic.
Thill clearly has active representatives as his names has also been linked to clubs including Real Madrid, Arsenal and West Ham in the past.
Both are still very young so City are likely to keep monitoring their progress but both will have appreciated that getting regular Premier League football at this stage of their careers will have been tough.
City have already signed England U18 midfielder Daniel Adshead from Rochdale this summer and have the likes of former Arsenal talent Savvas Mourgos and ex-Liverpool hopeful Tom Scully already in their U23 ranks as midfield options.