Norwich City transfer rumours: Are Canaries really still in for Stoke City’s Jack Butland?
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
January is around the corner and agents are doing the right thing by their clients as demonstrated by Jack Butland being linked with a move to Norwich City once again.
The 26-year-old was linked with the Canaries in the summer but has since suffered a dip in form that saw him lose his starting spot at Stoke although he has since reclaimed the number one jersey.
Butland's name has never been far from the gossip columns since Stoke's relegation with Aston Villa and Bournemouth linked with the England international in August along with Norwich. His name has cropped up once again with Stoke-On-Trent Live suggesting City are still keen on the custodian.
Butland has fallen out of England manager Gareth Southgate's thinking and will be keen to try and get back in ahead of the Euros next summer.
He will need first team football to do this which would appear to rule out a move from Norwich in January given Tim Krul's imperious form so far this season.
You may also want to watch:
City have been delighted with the Dutchman's form so far, a rare bright spot in a difficult campaign, and it would be fanciful to suggest Butland could come in and immediately displace the former Newcastle United shot-stopper.
Stoke's reported asking price of around £15m would be another stumbling block with City unlikely to shell out that kind of money on an area of the team that doesn't strengthening.
- 1 EFL announce revised schedule to avoid Prince Philip funeral clash
- 2 'You get relegated playing the Norwich way' - Old boy Bruce on Magpies' sorry plight
- 3 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Derby County win
- 4 Record-breaking week continues for Canaries
- 5 Paddy Davitt verdict: Wazza and City's great leap forward
- 6 Premier League here we come for City chief Farke
- 7 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' spirited 1-0 Championship win against Derby County
- 8 'We showed Norwich too much respect' - Rooney on Rams' reverse
- 9 ‘Ninety points is usually enough’ - Dowell buzzing for City’s big day
- 10 Spud Thornhill: Early days, but can City break that promotion record?
The situation would be further complicated by the fact that Ralf Fahrmann is on a season-long loan from Schalke whilst Daniel Farke also has faith in third choice goalkeeper Michael McGovern.