Norwich City transfer rumours: Are Canaries really still in for Stoke City’s Jack Butland?
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
January is around the corner and agents are doing the right thing by their clients as demonstrated by Jack Butland being linked with a move to Norwich City once again.
The 26-year-old was linked with the Canaries in the summer but has since suffered a dip in form that saw him lose his starting spot at Stoke although he has since reclaimed the number one jersey.
Butland's name has never been far from the gossip columns since Stoke's relegation with Aston Villa and Bournemouth linked with the England international in August along with Norwich. His name has cropped up once again with Stoke-On-Trent Live suggesting City are still keen on the custodian.
Butland has fallen out of England manager Gareth Southgate's thinking and will be keen to try and get back in ahead of the Euros next summer.
He will need first team football to do this which would appear to rule out a move from Norwich in January given Tim Krul's imperious form so far this season.
You may also want to watch:
City have been delighted with the Dutchman's form so far, a rare bright spot in a difficult campaign, and it would be fanciful to suggest Butland could come in and immediately displace the former Newcastle United shot-stopper.
Stoke's reported asking price of around £15m would be another stumbling block with City unlikely to shell out that kind of money on an area of the team that doesn't strengthening.
- 1 Soto's loan at Telstar ends as City close on work permit for USA striker
- 2 'Best team in the division' - Bristol boss hails City's stylish success
- 3 Norwich City transfer rumours: Buendia 'talks' over summer Arsenal move
- 4 LOAN WATCH: Success for Heise and recognition for Adshead
- 5 Iwan Roberts: Hugill showed he truly belongs at Norwich City
- 6 Dowell hoping to make more happy FA Cup memories with Canaries
- 7 'We are looking to win the next game' - Barnsley boss on Norwich FA Cup visit
- 8 Patience a virtue for City striker after injury had threatened his Premier League pursuit
- 9 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 2-0 Bristol City win
- 10 'I didn't know if I'd make it' - City academy product ends over 1,000 days of injury woe
The situation would be further complicated by the fact that Ralf Fahrmann is on a season-long loan from Schalke whilst Daniel Farke also has faith in third choice goalkeeper Michael McGovern.