Norwich City transfer rumours: Fresh offer for Rhodes leaves Wednesday bosses furious
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
It seems the Jordan Rhodes summer saga may not be over just yet, with fresh reports suggesting Norwich City have offered to sign the striker on a free transfer from Sheffield Wednesday.
The Sheffield Star claim the free offer for the Owls' club-record £8million signing has left the Championship club's top brass 'incensed' at what they deem to be a cheeky offer.
The newspaper even quotes a source from Wednesday as saying: "Norwich have shown no respect at all."
Rhodes, 29, spent last season on loan with the Canaries and scored six goals in 36 league games to play an important role in City's title success in the Championship.
He is now into the final two years of his contract at Hillsborough though and it's understood the Owls, who are under financial pressure, are desperate to move on his hefty wages.
Canaries' sporting director Stuart Webber said earlier this summer that he 'would love' to bring the former Huddersfield forward back to Carrow Road but admitted the deal would prove difficult financially.
You may also want to watch:
Rhodes has only scored 10 goals in 55 games since joining Wednesday from Middlesbrough in 2017 and has featured during pre-season, since returning from Norwich.
However, the Owls lost manager Steve Bruce to Newcastle recently and coach Lee Bullen is set to take charge of their opening league fixture at Reading on Saturday.
- 1 MATCHDAY RECAP: Huge goals for Hugill as City create daylight at the top
- 2 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-0 Championship cruise against Bristol City
- 3 Farke maps out his risk averse strategy on Pukki and Krul
- 4 The Greek view on Norwich City new boy Dimitris Giannoulis
- 5 Cherries lose more ground on Canaries in promotion race
- 6 Hot Hugill caps a season's best display for City boss
- 7 PRESSER LIVE: Norwich City v Bristol City - Pukki still out, Krul set to return
- 8 STARTING XIs: Krul returns for Canaries against Bristol City
- 9 Hugill brace ensures superb City beat Bristol
- 10 Farke is not looking over his shoulder at City
The Star reported last Friday that Wednesday's soft transfer embargo was being lifted by the EFL after extensive negotiations, allowing them to begin transfer work fully again.
Reports earlier in the year suggested Wednesday had put a £7million price tag on Scotland international Rhodes, with recent suggestions that he had been offer to Queens Park Rangers.
VERDICT: There's little doubt that Rhodes wants to stay with Norwich if he can, with regular sightings of the striker in Norfolk during the off-season.
His overall return of nine goals in 40 games doesn't quite reflect the influence of his loan spell, with Daniel Farke and Stuart Webber also highlighting Rhodes' good character and attitude as making him one of the leaders in the City dressing room.
His goals in league wins over Aston Villa and Brentford, as well as a late equaliser at West Brom, were also crucial points during the Canaries successful title race.
The fact that news of a bid has leaked from Hillsborough suggests negotiations are under way and that both the player and City may eventually get their way before the transfer deadline of 5pm on Thursday, August 8.
Switzerland international Josip Drmic has been signed on a free transfer as competition for Teemu Pukki already though, so a Rhodes return may well allow for one of Dennis Srbeny or Adam Idah to go out on loan.
It's understood City are not likely to use their final domestic loan slot to bring Rhodes back, so an offer to take on the striker's wages isn't too surprising, given Webber's record for ruthless negotiations.
- City's sporting director Webber spoke frankly about the prospect of bringing Rhodes back earlier this summer, you can watch that interview above