Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries to rival Leicester, Newcastle, Chelsea and Spurs for Metz forward
- Credit: Archant
Norwich City are reportedly among the Premier League clubs interested in Senegal international Habib Diallo, but would face high level competition for the forward.
The 24-year-old has been impressing in the French top flight for Metz, scoring eight goals in 13 games so far this season. That follows a prolific 26 goals in 37 games to earn promotion from Ligue Deux last season.
Leicester and Newcastle were said to have strong interests in Diallo in a report in the Express earlier this month, suggesting a £7million price tag.
However, Team Talk have now claimed that Chelsea, Tottenham, Watford and Norwich are also 'considering moves' ahead of the January transfer window, with a fee of around £10m floated.
Diallo came through the youth system at Metz and scored nine goals in 17 games to help seal promotion to the top flight in 2016, but after struggling to reproduce the goods in Ligue Un he spent 18 months on loan in the second tier with Stade Brest.
You may also want to watch:
A decent return of 16 goals in 49 games earned him another chance once his parent club had again slipped out of the top flight but now he has become a front-line player after helping to earn promotion and has worn the captain's armband for some matches this season.
VERDICT: City's sporting director Stuart Webber made it clear last week that big fees would not be splashed on players if survival prospects are looking bleak, remaining wary of the financial impact that big fees and wages can have after relegation.
- 1 Farke linked with Bundesliga vacancy
- 2 'That's the bottom line' - Dowell clear on his City priorities
- 3 Can City seal just their third Carrow Road promotion?
- 4 Ian Clarke: Seven reasons why Norwich City will survive in top flight
- 5 Another goal for Drmic - could City striker earn Euros recall?
- 6 Iwan Roberts: My one regret over Canaries' 2004 promotion
- 7 Transfer rumour: Everton unsure about price tag for City star
- 8 'We want to correct what happened' - City ace on top-flight aims
- 9 Connor Southwell: Why Emi Buendia must be crowned City's Player of the Season
- 10 Paddy Davitt: 'Little old Norwich' tag is a poor fit
He did however stress that any players considered would have to have "potential future value" and be sold for a healthy profit, and at 24 years old it would appear Diallo would have that potential.
His form in the French top flight makes a £10m price tag seem fairly reasonable but Metz are only just above the relegation zone, so the pull of the Premier League could prove influential.
If clubs like Leicester, Chelsea and Tottenham were genuinely interested, then the Canaries probably won't be able to compete financially, yet as a forward who can play centrally or wide, the Senegal international could well add a new dimension to Daniel Farke's attacking options.
Diallo is around 6ft 1ins tall, so could offer an aerial threat and does also have plenty of pace, but with a contract until 2022 he looks to be too expensive for City this January.