Norwich City transfer rumours: Rangers launch Graham Dorrans bid
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Rangers have tested Norwich City’s resolve to hold onto Graham Dorrans with a bid of ‘just under £1m’, according to Skysports Scotland on Friday afternoon.
Speculation about the 30-year-old’s future has ramped up recently with reports the Scotland international, a boyhood Rangers fan, hopes to move north of the border for family reasons.
City’s managing director Steve Stone has already made it clear the club need to sell before they can buy this summer, with clear efforts being made to reduce the wage bill after missing out on an immediate return to the Premier League, with the release of seven senior players.
Free transfer arrival Marley Watkins was announced on Thursday as the first signing of the Daniel Farke era, with sporting director Stuart Webber underlining the Welsh international is the type of player they want to add to an ageing squad.
The possession-based style described by new boss Farke at his unveiling looks more suited to Dorrans than any of City’s other current central midfielders.
However, with Glasgow giants Rangers keen on adding the former Livingston and West Brom playmaker to their ranks following the appointment of Portuguese boss Pedro Caixinha, Dorrans could be allowed to leave as part of the summer shake up.
Dorrans signed a new three-year contract last summer to extend his deal until 2019 and scored six goals in 24 games last season as City finished eighth in the Championship.
You may also want to watch:
He has made a total of 67 appearances and scored nine goals since initially joining on loan in February 2015, helping to secure promotion to the top flight, but missed three months of the last campaign due to a knee injury.
Rangers legend Richard Gough feels Dorrans is an ideal signing for the Gers as they look to close the gap on dominant Scottish Premiership champions Celtic.
- 1 MATCHDAY RECAP: Huge goals for Hugill as City create daylight at the top
- 2 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-0 Championship cruise against Bristol City
- 3 Farke maps out his risk averse strategy on Pukki and Krul
- 4 The Greek view on Norwich City new boy Dimitris Giannoulis
- 5 Cherries lose more ground on Canaries in promotion race
- 6 Hot Hugill caps a season's best display for City boss
- 7 PRESSER LIVE: Norwich City v Bristol City - Pukki still out, Krul set to return
- 8 STARTING XIs: Krul returns for Canaries against Bristol City
- 9 Hugill brace ensures superb City beat Bristol
- 10 Norwich City v Bristol City - all you need to know
“He’s exactly the kind of player Rangers should be looking for,” Gough told the Scottish Sun. “It’s widely accepted that the club needs better players. They need guys who will lift the team and improve on what is there.
“If he’s a Rangers supporter then that helps, too. I really hope Pedro gets him, I think it would be a great move for everyone. He could become a very important player for the club next season.”
Would you let Dorrans leave this summer? Cast your vote in the poll above