Norwich City transfer rumours: Steven Whittaker set to follow Canaries release with a return to Scottish Premiership new boys Hibernian
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Former Norwich City defender Steven Whittaker is set for a return to where it all began.
The 32-year-old was released by the Canaries this summer, with his contract officially expiring on June 30.
And having suggested the move could happen earlier in the summer, the Scottish Sun reported on Wednesday morning the free agent is now close to completing a return to Easter Road, where Whittaker began his professional career.
Hibs boss Neil Lennon, who managed cult City hero Grant Holt last term as they won promotion from the Scottish Championship, is said to have wanted Whittaker for some time – while the full-back has also been in discussions with Edinburgh rivals Hearts.
However returning to Easter Road – where Whittaker made 140 Hibs appearances between 2002 and 2007 before moving to Glasgow Rangers – has apparently been top of the defender’s agenda.
You may also want to watch:
Whittaker would have to compete with club captain David Gray for a place in the side – but like at Carrow Road, Lennon is likely to want to take advantage of the former Scottish international’s versatility come Hibs’ Premiership return.
During his five-year spell in Norfolk, Whittaker made 106 appearances and scored seven goals – including playing a significant part in City’s Wembley play-off success in 2015.
- 1 'He has all the attributes" - Former coach backs Giannoulis to succeed at City
- 2 City keeper issues injury update
- 3 City's Giannoulis move enters the end game
- 4 City Q&A recap: What does Giannoulis signing mean for Quintilla?
- 5 Six things you might have missed after Norwich City's victory in Cardiff
- 6 Canaries captain hails 'outstanding' display from Hugill
- 7 'My journey has been life-changing' - Cantwell reflects on three years since his City debut
- 8 'Best team in the league' - Harris raves about Canaries
- 9 Paddy Davitt verdict: Relentless City operating on a different level
- 10 Matt Howman: Do you want Norwich City to be in the Premier League
The Sun also suggests Hibs and Hearts have been weighing up whether to offer Whittaker’s former Rangers and City team-mate Kyle Lafferty a deal.
The Northern Ireland striker was also released by Norwich at the end of last season, after three seasons and just a handful of starts for the club.