Norwich City U18's 4, Huddersfield Town U18's 0

John Landamore Ricky Martin saw his side take all three points from their opening home game of the season with three of the goals from the Canaries' Turkish contingent.

John Landamore

Ricky Martin saw his side take all three points from their opening home game of the season with three of the goals from the Canaries' Turkish contingent.

It was a hollow victory for Norwich however with the match being marred after a terrible looking injury to midfielder Michael Clunan just two minutes before the break. The first year scholar suffered a deep gash on the inside of his thigh and the game was suspended for a full 30 minutes after an ambulance was called for. There was no malice in what was a 50/50 ball with The Terriers Adam Colton, who was so upset by the incident he was unable to continue.

City led by three goals at the break that was called two minutes short with the injury to Clunan, and after the break both teams were somewhat subdued with the Canaries adding a fourth.

You may also want to watch:

George Francomb, who played in the cup game at Blackburn midweek, captained the side that included trialist Cem Aytac in defence.

Norwich created the first opening on 10 minutes when Josh Dawkin combined well with Jamar Loza for Dawkin to send a low ball across the penalty area. City took the lead just 60 seconds later when Lloyd Allindon in the visitor's goal cleared the ball against one of his own defenders and with it then falling kindly for Loza he was denied by Allindon but there was no denying Dawkin who fired the loose ball beyond the Terrriers keeper.

Most Read

Three minutes later Norwich doubled their advantage when a free kick was charged down but City's Turkish midfielder Dean Florence curled a dipping shot in off the post.

At the other end Remi Matthews had to be alert when City were caught on the break and the Canaries stopper made a good double save to deny Michael McCaffely.

Dawkins pace was causing the visitors defence all sorts of problems down the left flank and he brought out a good save from Allindon but Richard Brindley could only fire the rebound over the bar.

With 40 minutes on the clock City extended their lead when Norwich hit Huddersfield on the break with Loza feeding Florence who made no mistake from just inside the box.

Three minutes later referee Mr Tyne called time on the half after the injury to Clunan.

Shortly into the second half Allindon produced a superb save to deny Brindley but with 53 minutes on the clock Aytec was well placed at the far post for a simple tap in after the visitors failed to deal with a corner.

There was little more worthy of note with both sides pleased to hear the final whistle after what had happened in the first half.

t Norwich City: Matthews, Dobbs (McKenzie, 80), Gordon, Clunan (Stephens, 45), Francomb, Aytac, Dawkin, Brindley, Loza, Florence, Kelly (Simonds, 75). Sub not used: Gunn

t Huddersfield Town: Allindon, Burke (Johnson, 37), Dickinson Pearson, Crooks, Blaket, Sinnott, Charlton, Birates, McCaffely, Colton (Nande, 45). Subs not used: Porter, Windass, D'Arcy.

t Norwich City Man of the Match: Dean Florence

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus