Norwich City U18s 5, Notts Forest U18s 2
John Landamore Norwich City's Academy side got their season off to a perfect start with a convincing 5-2 victory over Nottingham Forest at Colney on Saturday.
FA Premier Academy Under 18s
Norwich City Under 18s 5, Nottingham Forest Under 18s 2
Norwich City's Academy side got their season off to a perfect start with a convincing 5-2 victory over Nottingham Forest at Colney on Saturday. Ricky Martin named a strong side to face Forest who have done well in the Academy league in recent years.
You may also want to watch:
Martin included four professionals in his starting line-up in the shape of Kris Renton, Luke Daley, Damon Lathrope and Korey Smith and it was Smith who created the first opening of the game for Lathrope but his shot went over the bar.
At the other end it needed a timely tackle from Sam Habergham to deny Forest a shot on goal.
- 1 NORWICH CITY ARE PROMOTED TO THE PREMIER LEAGUE
- 2 PROMOTION LIVE: Cherries and red card ruin City's party
- 3 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Premier League-bound Canaries' 3-1 defeat against Bournemouth
- 4 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 3-1 Bournemouth defeat
- 5 Banning orders and revenge mission wide of the mark for City chief
- 6 'Mission Accomplished' - Norwich City fans celebrate promotion
- 7 Farke braced for summer of speculation amid Frankfurt links
- 8 Operation Bounce Back: The story of City's promotion success
- 9 “It was high on Ben and it was a red card' - Giannoulis bang to rights for Woodgate
- 10 Farke savours sweet Premier League promotion after rollercoaster ride
The lively Smith saw a shot saved by Karl Darlow but on 30 minutes the visitors keeper could do nothing to prevent City opening their account when RENTON fired home from the penalty spot after Forest were penalised for handball.
City's lead lasted all of two minutes before the visitors got back on level terms when Kim Hopkinson raced on to a through ball and despite Declan Rudd getting his body behind the ball HOPKINSON was left with a simple tap in. Shortly before the break Renton almost restored City's lead but Darlow produced a spectacular save to deny the Canaries striker.
City defender Habergham was the first to try his luck after the break but Darlow made a routine save. With 58 minutes on the clock it was Forest who took the lead for the first time in the game when Hopkinson sent in a low cross for the simplest of tap-ins for NIALLE RODNEY. Darlow again denied Renton with yet another spectacular save but with 68 minutes on the clock the Forest keeper was no match for a well taken strike by RENTON.
Just 60 seconds later DALEY fired City back into the lead with a tremendous shot that left Darlow rooted to the spot.
Daley then turned provider on 73 minutes when he crossed from the left wing for LATHROPE to finish at the near post.
Norwich then completed the scoring just five minutes later when Habergham found the head of DALEY who beat Darlow from close range.
t Norwich City: Rudd, Francomb, Habergham (Omerehie, 82), Smith, Dumic, Stephens (Kelly 51), Adeyemi, Lathrope, Renton, Daley, Dawkin (Davey 80). Subs (not used) Richardson, Cooper.
t Nottingham Forest: Darlow, Fairclough (Freeman 81), Sykes, Wright, McCashin, Diagne, Hoke, Elliott (Mullen 81), Rodney, Hopkinson, Thompson (Staples 65). Subs (not used) Watson, O'Brien.
t Norwich City man of the match: Korey Smith.