Norwich City U23s 2 Stoke City U23s 0 – Glenn Middleton at the double in feisty Carrow Road encounter
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
There was an angry finish at Carrow Road as Norwich City Under-23s won the first match of their Premier League Two campaign this evening.
The young Canaries were 2-0 up against Stoke City thanks to two goals from Glenn Middleton, before three red cards were shown with five minutes of regular time remaining.
Tristan Abrahams teed up Middleton to make it 1-0 in just the fourth minute and the Scottish winger doubled the lead in the 79th minute with a volley.
Before that goalkeeper Remi Matthews had made two fine saves to deny Tyrese Campbell earlier in the second half but the keeper was then sent off following a melee late on.
Matthews and Potters player Tre Pemberton were sent off, with City striker Abrahams also shown a second yellow card. Campbell then skimmed the crossbar and substitute City keeper Aston Oxborough denied the same player with an excellent save in the fifth minute of extra-time.
You may also want to watch:
Left-back Harry Toffolo also played as he continued his injury comeback.
City U23s: Matthews; Aarons, Odusina, Efete, Toffolo; Phillips, Aransibia (Mourgos 72); Higgs, Cantwell (Oxborough 90), Middleton; Abrahams. Unused subs: Idah, Sambu, Wallis.
- 1 MATCHDAY LIVE: Norwich City complete their double over Cardiff
- 2 Farke reveals Buendia concerns and fitness updates on Pukki and Krul after 2-1 Cardiff win
- 3 STARTING XIs: Pukki missing for City as Barden starts at Cardiff
- 4 City squad can expect long term disruption due to Covid impact
- 5 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-1 Championship win against Cardiff City
- 6 Farke's advice for Barden ahead of red letter day
- 7 City boss on Quintilla future amid Giannoulis pursuit
- 8 Cardiff City v Norwich City - all you need to know
- 9 No Pukki no problem for Canaries as they move seven points clear at the top
- 10 City edging closer to deal for Giannoulis