Drmic nets on return for City youngsters
- Credit: Archant
Josip Drmic scored on his Norwich City return as the Canaries’ Under-23s opened their Premier League 2 account with a 3-0 win over Reading.
The Swiss striker has been told by Daniel Farke that he is surplus to requirements and City’s boss confirmed at his pre-match press conference that Drmic had been training with the club’s youngsters. However, he was afforded some game time to attain match fitness as he tries to secure a move away from Carrow Road.
Midfielders Tom Trybull and Moritz Leitner have also been told that their futures lie elsewhere as City attempt to rejuvenate their squad following a disappointing relegation from the Premier League last season.
New boys Sam McCallum and Danel Sinani also started the game for City as they sought to get some more minutes into their legs as they look to stake their claim for a spot in the first-team squad.
David Wright’s youngsters took the lead courtesy of an Andrew Omobamidele header. Reece McAlear floated a corner into the box, with the Republic of Ireland international rising above Reading defenders to nod the ball into the net. Sinani was one of the new additions not to make Farke’s matchday squad for the opening fixture against Huddersfield Town on Saturday.
You may also want to watch:
The Luxembourg striker gave his head coach some food for thought when he doubled the Canaries’ advantage. McCallum could have opted for goal himself - instead, the 20-year-old unselfishly squared for Sinani to score.
The 23-year-old was lively throughout and went close shortly after the interval but saw his curled effort brush the crossbar as it went over.
- 1 “It was high on Ben and it was a red card' - Giannoulis bang to rights for Woodgate
- 2 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Premier League-bound Canaries' 3-1 defeat against Bournemouth
- 3 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 3-1 Bournemouth defeat
- 4 WATCH: Delighted Delia Smith leads Canaries fans in Emi Buendia sing song
- 5 'A wonderful season' - Praise pours in for City from legends and pundits
- 6 Paddy Davitt verdict: I'll have a P please City
- 7 'Amazing' - Buendia hails City's special promotion achievement
- 8 City players and fans celebrate promotion on social media
- 9 Farke savours sweet Premier League promotion after rollercoaster ride
- 10 Norwich City fans gather at Carrow Road to celebrate promotion
After 65 minutes, Drmic marked his return with a goal. The Swiss international controlled a cross with his chest before volleying home with aplomb.
Drmic nearly added an assist to his name when he teed up Scottish youth international McAlear but his shot was saved at the near post by the Royals’ keeper.
Tyrese Omotoye impressed for the Canaries U23s, who overcame League One side Plymouth Argyle in the EFL Trophy last week, and he nearly added a fourth for City, but he flashed his effort across the face of goal.
Wright’s side travel to Bodymoor Heath to face Aston Villa’s U23s on Friday.
Norwich City Starting XI: Barden, Vaughan, McCallum, Omobamidele (c), Tomkinson, McAlear, Giurgi, Sitti (Dronfield, 78), Drmic (Omotoye, 70), Sinani (Dennis, 70), Hondermarck
Subs not used: McCracken, Nizet
Goals: Omobamidele (14), Sinani (27), Drmic (65)
Bookings: Vaughan (90)
Reading Starting XI: Boyce-Clarke (c), Harry, Samuels, Pendlebury (Aryeety, 60), Hewitt, Ashcroft, Ajose, Onen, McGiff, Lawless (Purcell, 46), Azeez
Subs not used: Holden, Melvin-Lambert, Ehibhaimhan
Bookings: Aryeety (89)