City youngsters record third successive win against Aston Villa
Norwich City’s Under-23 side recorded their third successive victory on Friday afternoon, beating Aston Villa 2-1 at Colney.
Two goals for Shae Hutchinson ensured City continued their positive run of form as David Wright's men put in an impressive performance to overcome Villa.
Louis Thompson, who recently saw his loan spell with Shrewsbury Town cut short, captained the City side and played 80 minutes on his comeback. Young defender Timi Odusina returned from his lenghty ankle injury to star in City's backline.
City scored the opening goal of the game after four minutes, with Hutchinson racing beyond the Villa backline before finishing into the net.
The Canaries held the lead well and had chances to double their advantage but it was the visitors who levelled just before the break through striker Cameron Archer.
Villa's Ben Guy saw himself sent off on 70 minutes for a second bookable offence.
City took the initiative, with Hutchinson scoring his second of the game to secure three points for the young City side.
- 1 'Blown away' - Gibson reveals how City wooed him for Premier League push
- 2 MATCHDAY RECAP: Hornets frustrate City in title tussle
- 3 City ace Krul reflects on Premier League interest
- 4 Webber reveals he turned down 'massive job' to stay at City
- 5 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 1-0 defeat against Watford
- 6 City lose Giannoulis appeal; three-game ban stands
- 7 Pressure on Hornets for title-hunting City
- 8 Spurs loanee Skipp discusses his future and potential of Canaries return
- 9 Norwich City v Watford: everything you need to know
- 10 PRESSER LIVE: City v Watford - Hanley, Pukki, Cantwell injury doubts
The game finished prematurely following a concerning injury suffered by Villa midfielder Callum Rowe, who left the pitch on a stretcher and taking oxygen after the referee had blown the full-time whistle.
Norwich City U23s: Mair, Thomas, Nizet, Omobamidele, Odusina, Adshead, Power (Thorvaldsson, 65), Thompson (c) (Dickson-Peters, 80), Hutchinson, Martin, Coley (Fitzpatrick, 65) Subs not used: Blair, McAlear
Goals: Hutchinson (4, 78)
Bookings: Coley (56), Thomas (73)
Aston Villa U23s: Sinisalo, Walker (c), Rowe, Suliman, Bridge, Guy, Wright (Sea, 52), Brunt, Archer, Ramsey, Odutayo (Clarke, 78) Subs not used: Searle, Birch, Bazeley
Goals: Archer (42)
Bookings: Guy (22, 75 dismissal), Bridge (29), Ramsey (45+3), Suliman (61)
Referee: Paul Howard
Kick-off time: 2:30pm
Venue: Lotus Training Centre