City youngsters record third successive win against Aston Villa
Norwich City’s Under-23 side recorded their third successive victory on Friday afternoon, beating Aston Villa 2-1 at Colney.
Two goals for Shae Hutchinson ensured City continued their positive run of form as David Wright's men put in an impressive performance to overcome Villa.
Louis Thompson, who recently saw his loan spell with Shrewsbury Town cut short, captained the City side and played 80 minutes on his comeback. Young defender Timi Odusina returned from his lenghty ankle injury to star in City's backline.
City scored the opening goal of the game after four minutes, with Hutchinson racing beyond the Villa backline before finishing into the net.
The Canaries held the lead well and had chances to double their advantage but it was the visitors who levelled just before the break through striker Cameron Archer.
Villa's Ben Guy saw himself sent off on 70 minutes for a second bookable offence.
City took the initiative, with Hutchinson scoring his second of the game to secure three points for the young City side.
- 1 Norwich City star tipped to reject move to Tottenham
- 2 City midfielder returns to Norfolk after loan spell terminated
- 3 Bushiri completes Eupen loan
- 4 Placheta must kick on at City
- 5 Cantwell explains why he wears different coloured boots and why City is in his DNA
- 6 Giannoulis deal proof City can navigate difficult transfer market
- 7 City striker seals Swindon loan move; Hugill injury boost
- 8 Lambert and Ipswich in crisis: Do you care, City fans?
- 9 Giannoulis in contention for Boro clash - as City secure work permit
- 10 'That's my dream' - Giannoulis hopes his style will boost City's promotion hopes
The game finished prematurely following a concerning injury suffered by Villa midfielder Callum Rowe, who left the pitch on a stretcher and taking oxygen after the referee had blown the full-time whistle.
Norwich City U23s: Mair, Thomas, Nizet, Omobamidele, Odusina, Adshead, Power (Thorvaldsson, 65), Thompson (c) (Dickson-Peters, 80), Hutchinson, Martin, Coley (Fitzpatrick, 65) Subs not used: Blair, McAlear
Goals: Hutchinson (4, 78)
Bookings: Coley (56), Thomas (73)
Aston Villa U23s: Sinisalo, Walker (c), Rowe, Suliman, Bridge, Guy, Wright (Sea, 52), Brunt, Archer, Ramsey, Odutayo (Clarke, 78) Subs not used: Searle, Birch, Bazeley
Goals: Archer (42)
Bookings: Guy (22, 75 dismissal), Bridge (29), Ramsey (45+3), Suliman (61)
Referee: Paul Howard
Kick-off time: 2:30pm
Venue: Lotus Training Centre