STARTING XIs: Vrancic returns as City make one change for crucial Rovers clash
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Mario Vrancic has earned his return to the Norwich City starting line-up and replaces the injured Tom Trybull for tonight’s potentially promotion defining battle with Blackburn.
Vrancic has not started since a 3-0 home win over Ipswich in February, going off at half-time with ankle ligament damage and missing two games before a speedy return.
He has made 10, mostly brief, substitute appearances in the last 11 games but scored a crucial free-kick in injury-time to salvage a 2-2 draw against Sheffield Wednesday in the last home game and set up Teemu Pukki’s goal during the 2-2 draw at Stoke after replacing the injured Tom Trybull early in the second half on Monday.
The 29-year-old has eight goals and nine assists to his name from 36 games in all competitions, despite missing pre-season and the first six games of the campaign with a groin injury. The experienced Alex Tettey comes on the bench to fill the Vrancic void among the substitutes.
The Canaries head into the game unbeaten in 12 games but with four successive draws slowing their promotion momentum, leaving them in need of one point to seal a return to the Premier League.
You may also want to watch:
Daniel Farke’s team won 1-0 at Blackburn just before Christmas, thanks to a late Teemu Pukki goal.
BIG MATCH PREVIEW: Carrow Road expects and Farke’s boys aim to deliver
Rovers arrive in Norfolk with their play-off hopes already finished but with the strong wind of four consecutive wins at their back, as they look to finish the season on a high.
- 1 Norwich City transfer rumours: Swindon hoping to sign Omotoye on loan
- 2 No panic buy for Canaries after Hugill injury blow
- 3 Paddy Davitt verdict: Cup finals aplenty if City seal the deal
- 4 Rusty returns could prove crucial in the long run for fit-again City stars
- 5 'I was knocked for six' - Krul reveals difficulties of his Covid-19 recovery
- 6 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Barnsley defeat
- 7 Six things you might have missed following Norwich City's FA Cup exit at Barnsley
- 8 Lambert and Ipswich in crisis: Do you care, City fans?
- 9 Farke's injury fears for Hugill after Barnsley FA Cup loss
- 10 Farke's words of advice for Soto
Former Canaries winger Elliott Bennett returns but former City loanee Harrison Reed misses out as an ankle injury has brought an end to his Rovers loan early, with both having played key roles for Tony Mowbray’s team.
The visitors make two changes, with Bennett coming in for Ryan Nyambe at right-back and the experienced Danny Graham replacing Ben Brereton up front.
NORWICH: Krul; Aarons, Zimmerman (C), Godfrey, Lewis; Vrancic, McLean; Buendia, Stiepermann, Hernandez; Pukki. Subs: McGovern (GK), Hanley, Klose, Leitner, Tettey, Cantwell, Rhodes
BLACKBURN: Leutwiler; Bennett (C), Lenihan, Williams, Bell; Travis, Rodwell; Armstrong, Dack, Rothwell; Graham. Subs: Raya Martin (GK), Mulgrew, Nyambe, Conway, Evans, Brereton, Chapman
REFEREE: Andrew Madley (West Yorks)
• Follow all the action, analysis and reaction from Carrow Road in our Matchday Live blog at pinkun.com/live
• Don’t forget to download the Pink Un app for exclusive insight and analysis from our reporters