Norwich City v Charlton pre-match press conference: Updates from Colney
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Daniel Farke held his pre-match press conference on Monday ahead of the League cup tie against Charlton - and our correspondents were at Colney to get all the headline news.
Farke confirmed Nelson Oliveira is ruled out of the Addicks’ midweek cup tie with a groin injury that limited his involvement in Saturday’s 4-2 Championship defeat to Aston Villa. Oliveira is rated doubtful for this weekend’s final league game at Millwall prior to the international break.
“Nelson, no chance for Tuesday,” he said. “Like I said, problems with his groin. To be honest it didn’t help to put him on the pitch at Villa but we felt we were close to turning the game and it was a risk worth taking. He scored and we could have done that but he still has problems with his groin. For sure, Millwall is a concern as well. I hope we will have him back because he is in such good shape and it is good for the self-confidence of a striker to already have three goals. He is really important for our squad and we hope he can return on Saturday. I am not sure.”
Cameron Jerome is also nursing a groin injury but Farke suggested he should be fit for action this week. Ivo Pinto returns to the squad after missing out at Villa Park with a back complaint.
Marley Watkins (foot injury) is also fit for duty after being an unused substitute at Aston Villa.
You may also want to watch:
“Marley is a little bit better. Not 100pc but improving every day,” said Farke. “He got a bang on it against QPR and is still feeling it. We have to wait a little bit but I hope he can play. Ivo, some good news. It was not a muscle problem or he was tired. The problem was he got a hit on his back against QPR so was not able to turn or twist or sprint. It looks like he can return for Tuesday.”
Tom Trybull may be in line for a senior debut after his summer move, but Timm Klose will not be risked against Charlton after only stepping up his return to fitness by re-joining training on Sunday.
- 1 Could Canaries benefit from Chelsea appointing Tuchel?
- 2 Former Arsenal and Norwich midfielder set to sign for Saints
- 3 Soto's striker instinct is clear - now he needs to prove it at Norwich City
- 4 Arsenal end chase in City star with Real Madrid signing
- 5 Paddy Davitt: City's bold call and the status quo
- 6 'He's been great for me' - Hanley grateful to Farke for making him a better player
- 7 'Lots to learn ' - Busy spell continues as City striker makes Swindon debut
- 8 Norwich City star tipped to reject move to Tottenham
- 9 The story of Alex Neil and Jordan Hugill's trainers
- 10 'You just want more' - McLean settled at City and focused on top-flight return
“Timm only trained with us on Sunday. It is too soon,” said Farke. “If he can train the rest of the week he could be an option for Millwall. With Tom I think he has really improved his physical condition in the last two weeks so he is an option (for Charlton). We have to think about giving some players a rest. This is the fourth game in nine days and we have an important one at Millwall.”
Alex Pritchard, Jamal Lewis, Louis Thompson and Matt Jarvis are longer term injury absentees.
• Re-live the main lines from the press conference via the window.