Norwich City v Charlton pre-match press conference: Updates from Colney
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Daniel Farke held his pre-match press conference on Monday ahead of the League cup tie against Charlton - and our correspondents were at Colney to get all the headline news.
Farke confirmed Nelson Oliveira is ruled out of the Addicks’ midweek cup tie with a groin injury that limited his involvement in Saturday’s 4-2 Championship defeat to Aston Villa. Oliveira is rated doubtful for this weekend’s final league game at Millwall prior to the international break.
“Nelson, no chance for Tuesday,” he said. “Like I said, problems with his groin. To be honest it didn’t help to put him on the pitch at Villa but we felt we were close to turning the game and it was a risk worth taking. He scored and we could have done that but he still has problems with his groin. For sure, Millwall is a concern as well. I hope we will have him back because he is in such good shape and it is good for the self-confidence of a striker to already have three goals. He is really important for our squad and we hope he can return on Saturday. I am not sure.”
Cameron Jerome is also nursing a groin injury but Farke suggested he should be fit for action this week. Ivo Pinto returns to the squad after missing out at Villa Park with a back complaint.
Marley Watkins (foot injury) is also fit for duty after being an unused substitute at Aston Villa.
You may also want to watch:
“Marley is a little bit better. Not 100pc but improving every day,” said Farke. “He got a bang on it against QPR and is still feeling it. We have to wait a little bit but I hope he can play. Ivo, some good news. It was not a muscle problem or he was tired. The problem was he got a hit on his back against QPR so was not able to turn or twist or sprint. It looks like he can return for Tuesday.”
Tom Trybull may be in line for a senior debut after his summer move, but Timm Klose will not be risked against Charlton after only stepping up his return to fitness by re-joining training on Sunday.
- 1 Farke linked with Bundesliga vacancy
- 2 Transfer rumour: Everton unsure about price tag for City star
- 3 Paddy Davitt: 'Little old Norwich' tag is a poor fit
- 4 'We want to stop the party' - Cherries fired up for City clash
- 5 Pompey boss praises 'perfect model' at Norwich City
- 6 City confirm fans will not return to Carrow Road this season
- 7 Ian Clarke: Seven reasons why Norwich City will survive in top flight
- 8 'Auld Enemy' clash on the backburner for City captain
- 9 'Like a shield' - Canaries boss heaps praise on Webber's work
- 10 Farke's dilemma with City prodigies
“Timm only trained with us on Sunday. It is too soon,” said Farke. “If he can train the rest of the week he could be an option for Millwall. With Tom I think he has really improved his physical condition in the last two weeks so he is an option (for Charlton). We have to think about giving some players a rest. This is the fourth game in nine days and we have an important one at Millwall.”
Alex Pritchard, Jamal Lewis, Louis Thompson and Matt Jarvis are longer term injury absentees.
• Re-live the main lines from the press conference via the window.