MATCHDAY RECAP: Canaries thump Terriers to move five points from promotion
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City have moved closer to an instant top-flight return as they thrashed Huddersfield Town 7-0 at Carrow Road.
A hat-trick for Teemu Pukki and goals from Emi Buendia, Todd Cantwell, Kieran Dowell and Jordan Hugill mean the Canaries require a maximum of five points to secure promotion.
Brentford became the latest of City's promotion rivals to drop points as they drew at home to Birmingham. Daniel Farke's side saw Watford draw with Middlesbrough and watched on as Swansea lost to Preston.
City were unrelenting in their efforts to add to the scoresheet and went into half-time leading 5-0. This win is their biggest league win since an 8-1 victory over Shrewsbury Town in 1952.
Buendia shined and registered three assists. He added to his tally with a fine strike from outside the area. The Argentine has now scored 12 goals this season.
Pukki's hat-trick is only his second since signing for the club, the Finn has now moved three goals behind Ivan Toney and is on 25 for the season.
City can secure promotion against Bournemouth providing they beat Derby County on Saturday.
- 1 NORWICH CITY ARE PROMOTED TO THE PREMIER LEAGUE
- 2 PROMOTION LIVE: Cherries and red card ruin City's party
- 3 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Premier League-bound Canaries' 3-1 defeat against Bournemouth
- 4 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 3-1 Bournemouth defeat
- 5 Banning orders and revenge mission wide of the mark for City chief
- 6 'Mission Accomplished' - Norwich City fans celebrate promotion
- 7 “It was high on Ben and it was a red card' - Giannoulis bang to rights for Woodgate
- 8 Operation Bounce Back: The story of City's promotion success
- 9 Farke savours sweet Premier League promotion after rollercoaster ride
- 10 City players and fans celebrate promotion on social media
- Follow the action live via our match day blog from Carrow Road with our Canaries correspondents.