STARTING XIs: Leitner starts as Canaries take on Newcastle in first home game
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Moritz Leitner has earned his first Premier League start, as the only change to the Norwich City team for this afternoon’s first home game of the season, against Newcastle United.
It's only a second start for Leitner since injuring ankle ligaments last December, forcing him to miss two months of last season's success in the Championship.
The former Borussia Dortmund man impressed as a substitute during last weekend's 4-1 loss at Liverpool though and replaces Kenny McLean in central midfield, who had a back issue during midweek, alongside fellow German midfielder Tom Trybull.
The hosts are forced into three changes on the bench as well, with winger Onel Hernandez ruled out for three months with a knee injury and striker Josip Drmic missing out with a minor hamstring strain, after both featured as substitutes at Liverpool.
McLean takes Leitner's place on the bench and Dennis Srbeny and Alex Tettey are named in place of Hernandez and Drmic.
You may also want to watch:
Newcastle are also looking to pick up their first win of the season, after starting with a 1-0 home defeat to Arsenal on Sunday, in former City defender Steve Bruce's first game in charge.
It's two changes for the visitors, with Emil Krafth coming in for Javier Manqullo and Ki Sung-Yeung replacing Sean Longstaff in midfield.
- 1 Soto's loan at Telstar ends as City close on work permit for USA striker
- 2 'Best team in the division' - Bristol boss hails City's stylish success
- 3 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 2-0 Bristol City win
- 4 LOAN WATCH: Success for Heise and recognition for Adshead
- 6 Iwan Roberts: Hugill showed he truly belongs at Norwich City
- 7 Hugill thrilled with brace and determined to help keep City on track
- 8 'We are looking to win the next game' - Barnsley boss on Norwich FA Cup visit
- 9 'Great header' - Hugill's goal earns seal of approval from Holt
- 10 Watch extended highlights of the Canaries' 2-0 win over Bristol City
Norwich City (4-2-3-1): Krul; Aarons, Hanley (C), Godfrey, Lewis; Trybull, Leitner; Buendia, Stiepermann, Cantwell; Pukki. Subs: Fahrmann (GK), Byram, Tettey, Vrancic, Roberts, McLean, Srbeny
Newcastle (3-5-2): Dubravka; Schar, Lascelles (C), Dummett; Krafth, Hayden, Shelvey, Ki, Ritchie; Almiron, Joelinton. Subs: Darlow (GK), Clark, Willems, Manquillo, Fernandez, Longstaff, Muto
Referee: Stuart Atwell
VAR: Simon Hooper