STARTING XIs: Leitner starts as Canaries take on Newcastle in first home game
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Moritz Leitner has earned his first Premier League start, as the only change to the Norwich City team for this afternoon’s first home game of the season, against Newcastle United.
It's only a second start for Leitner since injuring ankle ligaments last December, forcing him to miss two months of last season's success in the Championship.
The former Borussia Dortmund man impressed as a substitute during last weekend's 4-1 loss at Liverpool though and replaces Kenny McLean in central midfield, who had a back issue during midweek, alongside fellow German midfielder Tom Trybull.
The hosts are forced into three changes on the bench as well, with winger Onel Hernandez ruled out for three months with a knee injury and striker Josip Drmic missing out with a minor hamstring strain, after both featured as substitutes at Liverpool.
McLean takes Leitner's place on the bench and Dennis Srbeny and Alex Tettey are named in place of Hernandez and Drmic.
You may also want to watch:
Newcastle are also looking to pick up their first win of the season, after starting with a 1-0 home defeat to Arsenal on Sunday, in former City defender Steve Bruce's first game in charge.
It's two changes for the visitors, with Emil Krafth coming in for Javier Manqullo and Ki Sung-Yeung replacing Sean Longstaff in midfield.
- 1 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Premier League-bound Canaries' 3-1 defeat against Bournemouth
- 2 PROMOTION LIVE: Cherries and red card ruin City's party
- 3 “It was high on Ben and it was a red card' - Giannoulis bang to rights for Woodgate
- 4 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 3-1 Bournemouth defeat
- 5 NORWICH CITY ARE PROMOTED TO THE PREMIER LEAGUE
- 6 City players and fans celebrate promotion on social media
- 7 Farke savours sweet Premier League promotion after rollercoaster ride
- 8 'Amazing' - Buendia hails City's special promotion achievement
- 9 Norwich City fans gather at Carrow Road to celebrate promotion
- 10 'Mission Accomplished' - Norwich City fans celebrate promotion
Norwich City (4-2-3-1): Krul; Aarons, Hanley (C), Godfrey, Lewis; Trybull, Leitner; Buendia, Stiepermann, Cantwell; Pukki. Subs: Fahrmann (GK), Byram, Tettey, Vrancic, Roberts, McLean, Srbeny
Newcastle (3-5-2): Dubravka; Schar, Lascelles (C), Dummett; Krafth, Hayden, Shelvey, Ki, Ritchie; Almiron, Joelinton. Subs: Darlow (GK), Clark, Willems, Manquillo, Fernandez, Longstaff, Muto
Referee: Stuart Atwell
VAR: Simon Hooper