Norwich City winger Jacob Murphy smashes spectacular goal from his own half in England U21 training
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Jacob Murphy has been showing what he can do in training with the England Under-21s, with a spectacular goal which has drawn praise from Manchester United legend Rio Ferdinand.
The Norwich City academy product takes one touch before smashing a shot from around 60 yards which drifts over one of the Young Lions’ keepers and into the net.
Murphy, as well as Canaries loan keeper Angus Gunn and former City winger Nathan Redmond are all in Poland with Aidy Boothroyd’s squad preparing for their opening game of the European U21 Championship, against Sweden tomorrow (5pm).
The long-range goal drew praise from Ferdinand, who tweeted: “Just seen @JacobMurphy95 doing bits with #England u21s - can’t wait for the Tourno to start tomorrow #YoungLions”
It should be noted that the former England defender Ferdinand has close ties to New Era Global Sports, a player management agency which includes Murphy and his twin brother Josh among their clients.
That should not lessen the impressive nature of the finish though, with Murphy also having scored twice in a warm-up friendly at the weekend, in a 3-0 win over Iceland – when he also scored a spectacular goal.
The 22-year-old’s summer exploits follow his breakthrough season with City, when he scored 10 goals in 40 games in all competitions, following on from a loan season in League One with Coventry, when he scored 10 in 42 matches.
Those impressive statistics have seen the winger’s profile rise significantly this season, picking up his first three England U21 caps and being linked with Premier League sides including Everton and Liverpool.
You may also want to watch:
Watch a video of the goal in training above.
- 1 MATCHDAY LIVE: Norwich City complete their double over Cardiff
- 2 Farke reveals Buendia concerns and fitness updates on Pukki and Krul after 2-1 Cardiff win
- 3 City squad can expect long term disruption due to Covid impact
- 4 STARTING XIs: Pukki missing for City as Barden starts at Cardiff
- 5 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-1 Championship win against Cardiff City
- 6 City boss on Quintilla future amid Giannoulis pursuit
- 7 Farke's advice for Barden ahead of red letter day
- 8 Cardiff City v Norwich City - all you need to know
- 9 City edging closer to deal for Giannoulis
- 10 No Pukki no problem for Canaries as they move seven points clear at the top