Norwich City winger Jacob Murphy smashes spectacular goal from his own half in England U21 training
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Jacob Murphy has been showing what he can do in training with the England Under-21s, with a spectacular goal which has drawn praise from Manchester United legend Rio Ferdinand.
The Norwich City academy product takes one touch before smashing a shot from around 60 yards which drifts over one of the Young Lions’ keepers and into the net.
Murphy, as well as Canaries loan keeper Angus Gunn and former City winger Nathan Redmond are all in Poland with Aidy Boothroyd’s squad preparing for their opening game of the European U21 Championship, against Sweden tomorrow (5pm).
The long-range goal drew praise from Ferdinand, who tweeted: “Just seen @JacobMurphy95 doing bits with #England u21s - can’t wait for the Tourno to start tomorrow #YoungLions”
It should be noted that the former England defender Ferdinand has close ties to New Era Global Sports, a player management agency which includes Murphy and his twin brother Josh among their clients.
That should not lessen the impressive nature of the finish though, with Murphy also having scored twice in a warm-up friendly at the weekend, in a 3-0 win over Iceland – when he also scored a spectacular goal.
The 22-year-old’s summer exploits follow his breakthrough season with City, when he scored 10 goals in 40 games in all competitions, following on from a loan season in League One with Coventry, when he scored 10 in 42 matches.
Those impressive statistics have seen the winger’s profile rise significantly this season, picking up his first three England U21 caps and being linked with Premier League sides including Everton and Liverpool.
You may also want to watch:
Watch a video of the goal in training above.
- 1 Farke's dilemma with City prodigies
- 2 Police interviews and faulty planes - the inside track on Onel's Cuba bow
- 3 Robbie Savage: 'Never mind Stuart Webber, it's all down to me'
- 4 Paddy Davitt: 'Little old Norwich' tag is a poor fit
- 5 Transfer rumour: Everton unsure about price tag for City star
- 6 'We want to stop the party' - Cherries fired up for City clash
- 7 Dowell pledge from City boss
- 8 City confirm fans will not return to Carrow Road this season
- 9 'Auld Enemy' clash on the backburner for City captain
- 10 Lee Payne: Bruce has got it wrong over Norwich City and Premier League