Norwich City winger Luke Daley set for Plymouth Argyle move

Norwich City forward Luke Daley is set to join Plymouth Argyle on a permanent basis.

The 21-year-old has impressed Pilgrims boss Peter Reid during a fortnight’s trial spell and has done enough to earn a one-year contract at Home Park.

Reid described Daley’s performance as “brilliant” in a pre-season friendly against Bristol City on Friday night.

Reports in Plymouth say the club’s acting chairman and chief executive, Peter Ridsdale, has agreed the move with the Canaries.

No fee is likely to be involved as the League Two club has been in administration since March with debts of more than �17m, and administrators have to sign off every deal.

Northampton-born Daley made 14 first team appearances for the Canaries, but only one of them last season when he was a late substitute in the televised Championship game at Reading, which ended 3-3.

Daley began training with Argyle two weeks ago, played for a Plymouth XI when they won 2-0 at Torpoint Athletic last Tuesday, then featured on the right side of midfield in the 3-2 defeat by Bristol City at Home Park.

Most Read

Reid, pictured, said after the game: “He was brilliant. I think he got a bit tired and we couldn’t get the ball out to him as much as we wanted to.

“One of the reasons for that was that Durrell Berry went off, because the little partnership they had was really good.”

City boss Paul Lambert confirmed two weeks ago that Daley’s trial could lead to a permanent move if he did well at Plymouth.

Former City Academy player Daley first pressed his claims for a senior call-up during Glenn Roeder’s reign as manager. He was an unused substitute against Stoke in March 2008, then scored a hat-trick in a 4-2 win over Arsenal in a reserve team friendly at Carrow Road the following season.

He made his first team debut against Burnley in February 2009 and finished the season with three Championship appearances, all as a substitute under Bryan Gunn, as City were relegated to League One.

In 2009-10, he started five first team games – including the televised Carling Cup tie against Sunderland – and made five appearances as a substitute.

He was awarded a new three-year contract in October 2009 but made just two appearances during the rest of the League One season because of a thigh injury.

Plymouth are currently in the middle of a complicated takeover deal by a property developer that would see former Leeds, Barnsley and Cardiff chairman Ridsdale take over the running of the football club.