Norwich City youngsters so four-midable
Norwich City U-18 4, Birmingham City U-18 0The young Canaries made it 12 goals in three games as they smashed four past Birmingham City in the FA Premier Academy Under-18 League at Colney.
Norwich City U-18 4, Birmingham City U-18 0
The young Canaries made it 12 goals in three games as they smashed four past Birmingham City in the FA Premier Academy Under-18 League at Colney.
Until Saturday, the Blues were unbeaten this season and had not conceded a goal in their opening three games.
Manager Ricky Martin had triallist Jack Werndly leading the attack and he had the first opening when he sent a glancing header just wide.
You may also want to watch:
Jamar Loza should have done better when he raced on to a through-ball but his fist touch let him down, allowing Birmingham 'keeper Glen Daniels to come off his line and collect.
It was all Norwich with George Francomb sending a header wide from a Remy Gordon corner.
- 1 City keeper issues injury update
- 2 'He has all the attributes" - Former coach backs Giannoulis to succeed at City
- 3 City Q&A recap: What does Giannoulis signing mean for Quintilla?
- 4 Matt Howman: Do you want Norwich City to be in the Premier League
- 5 City's Giannoulis move enters the end game
- 6 Six things you might have missed after Norwich City's victory in Cardiff
- 7 Young City winger completes permanent Harrogate Town move
- 8 PROFILE: Raw determination and loan education helped City's incoming left-back emerge at PAOK
- 9 Spurs loanee Skipp is a centre-back's dream, according to City skipper
- 10 Canaries captain hails 'outstanding' display from Hugill
The Canaries opened the scoring just five minutes before the break when Josh Dawkin headed on for Werndly, who beat his man before lifting the ball over the advancing Daniels.
Martin replaced Sam Habergham with Cem Aytec at the start of the second half. Habergham was making his first appearance for several months after recovering from injury.
Ten minutes into the second half, Norwich doubled their advantage when Dawkin rose above the Blues' defence to score with a thumping header from a Gordon corner.
City were firing on all cylinders and they made it 3-0 on 65 minutes when Richard Brindley unleashed an unstoppable effort from 25 yards.
Captain Matthew Ball saw an effort cleared off the line but deep in injury time City scored a fourth with Loza slipping the ball past Daniels.
Norwich City Under-18: Matthews, Jones, Gordon, Florence, Francomb, Habergham (Aytac, 45 min), Loza, Brindley (Kelly 75, min), Werndly, Ball, Dawkin. Subs (not used) Gunn, Dobbs, Stephens.
Birmingham City Under-18: Daniels, Ozturk (Westley, 77 min), Rowe, Fleet, Hutchinson, Kerr, Redmond, Packwood, Asante (Gombala, 67 min), Bogel, Hronec. Subs (not used) Ntaybwe, Townsend, Delfouneso.
City man of match: Matthew Ball.