Krul the shoot-out hero as Canaries fightback for FA Cup victory at Spurs

Josip Drmic equalised for the Canaries in normal time at Tottenham Picture: Paul Chesterton/Focus Im

Josip Drmic equalised for the Canaries in normal time at Tottenham Picture: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images - Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd

Norwich City’s biggest away following since the Wembley play-off final in 2015 were rewarded with a memorable penalty shoot-out victory at Tottenham.

Tim Krul was the hero, saving twice as the Canaries won the shoot-out 3-2, with Adam Idah, Marco Stiepermann and Todd Cantwell all converting their spot-kicks.

The dramatic success set up the club's first FA Cup quarter-final since 1992 - which will be at home against Derby or Manchester United, who play on Thursday night.

Josip Drmic had cancelled out Jan Vertonghen's early opener for the hosts in the 78th minute but it was a shaky start.

Tom Trybull and Mario Vrancic have had limited league chances recently and were clearly lacking in match sharpness during a poor start from the visitors, as two of the four changes Daniel Farke had made to his starting XI, with Drmic and Lukas Rupp also starting.

Lucas Moura left Trybull trailing in his wake in the 11th minute but Tim Krul spread himself well to deny Lo Celso. Then it was Vrancic's turn to show signs of rust, with a late tackle on Le Celso near halfway earning him a yellow card but Spurs playing on and Steven Bergwijn going down easily under pressure from Emi Buendia on the left wing.

Lo Celso whipped a fine free-kick to the back post and Belgium international Vertonghen powered above Vrancic to head downwards past Krul, making City's zonal marking system look too static - for far from the first time this season.

Most Read

It was a sinking feeling from there for the 9,000 travelling fans, knowing the Canaries haven't fought back to claim even one point from a losing position during the 28 Premier League games of the season so far.

Lukas Rupp wasted one shooting chance but the German nearly got lucky in the 34th minute, as the Canaries started to improve, with lovely skill from Buendia seeing the Argentine dance into the box past three men, blasting a shot which was parried away by keeper Vorm Seconds later Rupp took a pot shot from 25 yards and the Dutchman allowed the ball to squirm through his gloves, only to recover in time.

Krul was needed one more time to keep the score at 1-0 at the break though, spreading himself to deny Moura after Trybull passed to Vrancic in the City box, with a poor touch from the Bosnian seeing the Spurs forward rob him and fire goalwards.

There were no changes at the break, but the Canaries were shooting towards their boisterous away following inside the magnificent 62,000-seater stadium and Buendia had an early shot deflected over.

The visitors continued to show some attacking ambition though, with Dier taking the sting out of a Rupp volley to allow his keeper to claim and Vrancic curling a free-kick onto the roof of the net after a charging Cantwell was brought down by Skipp.

Farke withdrew Vrancic in the 67th minute, bringing on Kenny McLean, shortly after Vrancic had come close to a second yellow card for another late tackle on Lo Celso.

Teenage striker Adam Idah replaced Rupp soon after in a switch to a 4-4-2 but not before skipper Grant Hanley had to step in to defuse an argument between Ben Godfrey and Buendia, with the Argentine losing possession but not tracking back as he moaned, leaving Godfrey to intercept and be fouled by Oliver Skipp - who was booked.

Much of the City support thought Drmic had scored in the 77th minute, but the Swiss striker's effort from an Aarons cross bounced just beyond the far post, with the flag up for offside anyway.

Drmic did find the net barely a minute later though, with Vorm inexplicably spilling a powerful 20-yard shot from substitute McLean and the striker bundling the bouncing ball over the line to spark wild celebrations in the away end.

Buendia was hauled back to his feet by Cantwell after again losing the ball, with the atmosphere cranked up as the game headed towards extra-time and Spurs piling forward, but City held on to take the game into an extra 30 minutes.

Dier headed a McLean cross just wide of his own goal and Krul held a Serge Aurier shot at his near post, as both teams started to tire - with the quarter-final draw still going ahead at the scheduled time of 9.50pm.

A home tie against Derby County or Manchester United emerged just before half-time of extra-time, with the game limping towards penalties at a slow tempo.

Idah headed over a Jamal Lewis cross with 13 minutes remaining and soon after Krul made another good stop, denying a Lo Celso shot with his foot.

And so it was to penalties, where City had an expert, with Krul denying both Troy Parrott and Gedson Fernandes to spark wild scenes of celebration, with the Canaries players sprinting to their fans.

- Spurs penalties (went first) 2: Dier (scored), Lamela (missed), Lo Celso (scored), Parrott (saved), Fernandes (saved)

- Norwich penalties 3: McLean (saved), Idah (scored), Stiepermann (scored), Cantwell (scored)

SPURS (4-2-3-1): Vorm; Aurier, Dier, Sanchez, Vertonghen (C); Winks (Ndombele 82), Skipp; Moura (Lamela 70), Lo Celso, Bergwijn (Fernandes 54); Alli (Parrott 97). Unused subs: Gazzaniga (GK), Alderweireld, Tanganga

Goal: Vertonghen (13)

Booked: Skipp (foul on Godfrey, 71)

NORWICH (4-1-4-1): Krul; Aarons, Hanley (C), Godfrey, Lewis; Trybull (Tettey 88); Buendia (Stiepermann 97), Vrancic (McLean 67), Rupp (Idah 72), Cantwell; Drmic. Unused subs: McGovern (GK), Duda, Pukki

Goal: Drmic (78)

Booked: Vrancic (foul on Lo Celso, 18), Hanley (foul on Alli, 73)

REFEREE: Paul Tierney (Lancashire)

VAR: Stuart Attwell (Warwickshire)

ATTENDANCE: 58,007 (9,000 away)