‘New contract and the legendary number 14 shirt for one of our own’ – City fans congratulate Cantwell
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Academy product Todd Cantwell has been heartily congratulated by Norwich City fans this afternoon, after signing a new contract and being handed Wes Hoolahan’s old squad number ahead of next season.
The 21-year-old made the breakthrough at City with 27 appearances during last season's Championship title triumph and has signed a deal until 2022.
City's new squad numbers were also revealed earlier today and Cantwell has claimed number 14, which was left vacant last season after the departure of Wes Hoolahan, after 10 years of wearing the same squad number.
Cantwell is from Dereham and has been on the books with the Canaries since he was 10 years old, representing England at under-17 level.
He made his senior debut in January 2018, coming on during a televised FA Cup third round replay at Chelsea, and a loan to Fortuna Sittard quickly followed.
The creative midfielder scored two goals and assisted three during 10 games in the Dutch second tier, helping Fortuna to earn promotion, and that was enough to force his way in to Daniel Farke's plans at Norwich last season.
You may also want to watch:
- Take a look at some of the best of the reaction above and below
- 1 MATCHDAY LIVE: Norwich City complete their double over Cardiff
- 2 Farke reveals Buendia concerns and fitness updates on Pukki and Krul after 2-1 Cardiff win
- 3 STARTING XIs: Pukki missing for City as Barden starts at Cardiff
- 4 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-1 Championship win against Cardiff City
- 5 City squad can expect long term disruption due to Covid impact
- 6 Farke's advice for Barden ahead of red letter day
- 7 City boss on Quintilla future amid Giannoulis pursuit
- 8 Cardiff City v Norwich City - all you need to know
- 9 No Pukki no problem for Canaries as they move seven points clear at the top
- 10 City edging closer to deal for Giannoulis