‘New contract and the legendary number 14 shirt for one of our own’ – City fans congratulate Cantwell
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Academy product Todd Cantwell has been heartily congratulated by Norwich City fans this afternoon, after signing a new contract and being handed Wes Hoolahan’s old squad number ahead of next season.
The 21-year-old made the breakthrough at City with 27 appearances during last season's Championship title triumph and has signed a deal until 2022.
City's new squad numbers were also revealed earlier today and Cantwell has claimed number 14, which was left vacant last season after the departure of Wes Hoolahan, after 10 years of wearing the same squad number.
Cantwell is from Dereham and has been on the books with the Canaries since he was 10 years old, representing England at under-17 level.
He made his senior debut in January 2018, coming on during a televised FA Cup third round replay at Chelsea, and a loan to Fortuna Sittard quickly followed.
The creative midfielder scored two goals and assisted three during 10 games in the Dutch second tier, helping Fortuna to earn promotion, and that was enough to force his way in to Daniel Farke's plans at Norwich last season.
You may also want to watch:
- Take a look at some of the best of the reaction above and below
- 1 Farke linked with Bundesliga vacancy
- 2 Transfer rumour: Everton unsure about price tag for City star
- 3 Paddy Davitt: 'Little old Norwich' tag is a poor fit
- 4 'We want to stop the party' - Cherries fired up for City clash
- 5 Pompey boss praises 'perfect model' at Norwich City
- 6 City confirm fans will not return to Carrow Road this season
- 7 Ian Clarke: Seven reasons why Norwich City will survive in top flight
- 8 'Auld Enemy' clash on the backburner for City captain
- 9 'Like a shield' - Canaries boss heaps praise on Webber's work
- 10 Farke's dilemma with City prodigies