“Amazing he hasn’t played for England at any level before” – City fans congratulate Maddison on U21 call-up
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Canaries fans have been congratulating James Maddison this afternoon following the playmaker’s first England Under-21 call-up.
The 20-year-old has been one of City’s best performer this season, scoring four goals in 16 games to make the breakthrough as a Championship regular.
Maddison has been named in Aidy Boothroyd’s latest squad, alongside Norwich team-mate Angus Gunn, for a 2019 European U21 Championship qualifier against Ukraine.
Maddison was called up at U20 level in 2016 but wasn’t capped. The Coventry City academy product – signed by Norwich in a deal worth up to £3.5m in January 2016 – was nominated for the Championship’s goal of the month award for September, with his long-range strike in a 1-0 win at Middlesbrough claiming the prize.
He was also nominated for the division’s player of the month award and was voted City’s player of the month by supporters for September.
You may also want to watch:
His call-up has largely been welcomed by City fans, with some wary of the extra game-time for the youngster during the international break.
• Take a look at some of the best of the reaction above
- 1 PRESSER LIVE: Luton Town v Norwich City
- 2 FARKE: Full roll call on City's injured stars
- 3 Limited number of tickets left for fans ahead of Wednesday and Forest matches
- 4 Through troubled waters to unexpected success - Farke reflects on spell as City boss
- 5 IN FULL: Norwich City's unprecedented injury list
- 6 Di Cunningham: Young talent will not be hindered under Farke and Webber's watch
- 7 Chris Goreham: The school field trip that Zimmermann could do without
- 8 'I want to create history' - Farke reveals mission to build a legacy at Norwich City
- 9 Norwich City kick-off times changed due to TV coverage
- 10 Canaries drawn to face Coventry City at Carrow Road in FA Cup third round