“Amazing he hasn’t played for England at any level before” – City fans congratulate Maddison on U21 call-up
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Canaries fans have been congratulating James Maddison this afternoon following the playmaker’s first England Under-21 call-up.
The 20-year-old has been one of City’s best performer this season, scoring four goals in 16 games to make the breakthrough as a Championship regular.
Maddison has been named in Aidy Boothroyd’s latest squad, alongside Norwich team-mate Angus Gunn, for a 2019 European U21 Championship qualifier against Ukraine.
Maddison was called up at U20 level in 2016 but wasn’t capped. The Coventry City academy product – signed by Norwich in a deal worth up to £3.5m in January 2016 – was nominated for the Championship’s goal of the month award for September, with his long-range strike in a 1-0 win at Middlesbrough claiming the prize.
He was also nominated for the division’s player of the month award and was voted City’s player of the month by supporters for September.
You may also want to watch:
His call-up has largely been welcomed by City fans, with some wary of the extra game-time for the youngster during the international break.
• Take a look at some of the best of the reaction above
- 1 MATCHDAY LIVE: Norwich City complete their double over Cardiff
- 2 Farke reveals Buendia concerns and fitness updates on Pukki and Krul after 2-1 Cardiff win
- 3 STARTING XIs: Pukki missing for City as Barden starts at Cardiff
- 4 City squad can expect long term disruption due to Covid impact
- 5 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-1 Championship win against Cardiff City
- 6 Farke's advice for Barden ahead of red letter day
- 7 City boss on Quintilla future amid Giannoulis pursuit
- 8 Cardiff City v Norwich City - all you need to know
- 9 No Pukki no problem for Canaries as they move seven points clear at the top
- 10 City edging closer to deal for Giannoulis