Who should start for Canaries if Quintilla isn’t fit for Bristol City clash?
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Left-back could be a problem position for Norwich City ahead of Saturday’s game at Bristol City, after Jacob Sorensen was called upon as emergency cover for Xavi Quintilla on Tuesday evening.
The Spaniard, signed in the summer from Villarreal with a view to a possible permanent switch, had started the first six games of the season but pulled up with a muscle strain in one of his hips during the warm-up ahead of the 1-1 draw at Brentford.
Denmark Under-21 international Sorensen was given barely five minutes’ notice and just about survived his debut in an unfamiliar position but was certainly kept busy by the Bees, admitting afterwards he had no previous experience at left-back and that his right foot is his strongest.
The 22-year-old is a defensive midfielder by trade but does have experience at centre-back and looked more comfortable for the final 25 minutes on the right of a defensive three, after Daniel Farke had moved to a 3-5-2 formation.
With Sam McCallum having been allowed to return to Coventry on loan, it leaves a potential problem if Quintilla isn’t able to recover in time for the game at Ashton Gate on Saturday (12.30pm).
It would seem unlikely that Farke would want to break up the central defensive partnership of Ben Gibson and Grant Hanley and with Christoph Zimmermann struggling to shake off a calf issue, the chances of Gibson moving to full-back seem slim, having played on the left a few times earlier in his career.
You may also want to watch:
So sticking with the 3-5-2 shape for the tough away game could well be a consideration, with Przemek Placheta and Kenny McLean as potential options for the left wing-back role.
Equally, Max Aarons could switch to that role on the left as he has done on several occasions before for Farke when changing formation mid-game, allowing summer signing Bali Mumba or midfielder Lukas Rupp to play on the right.
- 1 MATCHDAY RECAP: City remain top despite Luton defeat
- 2 Norwich City transfer rumours: Arsenal linked with Canaries playmaker
- 3 Farke on young blood and Hatters at boiling point
- 4 Luton Town v Norwich City: Everything you need to know
- 5 PRESSER LIVE: Luton Town v Norwich City
- 6 FARKE: Full roll call on City's injured stars
- 7 Luton 3-1 City: Tired Canaries come up well short
- 8 Skipp is making his mark at City
- 9 Limited number of tickets left for fans ahead of Wednesday and Forest matches
- 10 IN FULL: Norwich City's unprecedented injury list
Mumba, 19, was signed from Sunderland and looked sharp as he made his City debut at right-back during the 3-1 loss at Luton in the League Cup on the opening day of the season but has not featured since that game.
Otherwise the chief academy option at left-back would appear to be under-23s regular Rob Nizet, a Belgium U19 international, but the 18-year-old is yet to be involved at senior level.
Caleb Richards is out on loan at National League South side Kidderminster Harriers and Akin Famewo, a centre-back with experience at left-back for Luton and Grimsby previously, is impressing on loan at Charlton in League One.
- What would be your preference? Let us know in the poll above