International preview: Norwich City star Pukki set to resume Euro 2020 qualifying with Finland
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
International action potentially begins for three of Norwich City’s players this evening, with star striker Teemu Pukki set to resume Euro 2020 qualifying action with Finland.
The Finns are already assured of a place in the play-offs after winning their Uefa Nations League group but are also in a strong position in Group J of qualifying for Euro 2020.
Pukki has become Finland's star export thanks to his form with the Canaries but also has eight goals in his last 11 international matches.
After a 2-0 defeat in Italy the Finns got back on track with three successive 2-0 away wins, in Armenia, Bosnia & Herzegovina and Liechenstein, leaving Pukki and his team-mates in second place and three points behind group leaders Italy.
Home victory over Greece tonight (7.45pm UK time) could prove crucial to their hopes, with the Italians set to visit on Sunday (also 7.45pm), with both games being played in Tampere.
You may also want to watch:
Jamal Lewis and experienced goalkeeper Michael McGovern are both in contention for Northern Ireland, with a friendly against Luxembourg tonight (7.45pm) to warm up for a Euro 2020 qualifier against Germany in Belfast on Monday.
City left-back Lewis was one of the young players that Northern Ireland boss Michael O'Neill praised for their maturity ahead of the game, after his side won all four of their opening Group C games, home and away against Belarus and Estonia.
- 1 MATCHDAY LIVE: Norwich City complete their double over Cardiff
- 2 Farke reveals Buendia concerns and fitness updates on Pukki and Krul after 2-1 Cardiff win
- 3 STARTING XIs: Pukki missing for City as Barden starts at Cardiff
- 4 City squad can expect long term disruption due to Covid impact
- 5 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-1 Championship win against Cardiff City
- 6 Farke's advice for Barden ahead of red letter day
- 7 City boss on Quintilla future amid Giannoulis pursuit
- 8 Cardiff City v Norwich City - all you need to know
- 9 No Pukki no problem for Canaries as they move seven points clear at the top
- 10 City edging closer to deal for Giannoulis
"A number of young players have quite quickly become influential," O'Neill said. "We don't want players to wait until they've got 50 caps before they feel they can do that.
"In particular Jamal (Lewis), Bailey (Peacock-Farrell), Jordan Jones - they've come in and been lively and had an influence off the pitch as well."
Two of City's youngsters could also be in action today, with goalkeeper Archie Mair and winger Aidan Fitzpatrick with the Scotland Under-19s ahead of a friendly against Japan, a midday kick-off in Murcia, Spain.
Dan Adshead will also be hoping to win his first England U19 cap, in a friendly against Greece at St George's Park in Burton (3pm).