Norwich target Shrewsbury's Holt

Michael Bailey Target man Grant Holt is the latest name to be added to Norwich City manager's summer wish list.The 28-year-old Shrewsbury striker was top scorer in League Two last season with 20 goals from 43 appearances, and has been a Canaries target in the past - when Nigel Worthington followed Holt's progress at Rochdale.

Michael Bailey

Target man Grant Holt is the latest name to be added to Norwich City manager's summer wish list.

The 28-year-old Shrewsbury striker was top scorer in League Two last season with 20 goals from 43 appearances, and has been a Canaries target in the past - when Nigel Worthington followed Holt's progress at Rochdale.

However, Holt is unlikely to come cheap or easily as Shrewsbury look to make a profit on their record signing from last summer.


You may also want to watch:


The striker cost �170,000 from Nottingham Forest after putting pen to paper on a three-year-deal, and bigger fish are almost certain to be hovering.

One further fly in the ointment could be Holt's fitness, after Holt underwent ankle surgery on Thursday, which is expected to put him out of action for at least six weeks.

Most Read

The close season transfer merry-go-round has started to turn, after defensive duo Ryan Nelson and Danny Woodards were also reportedly interesting the Canaries having stalled on new deals at Hartlepool and Crewe respectively, while centre-back Miguel Angel Llera is considering a contract offer Norwich after turning down an extension to his stay at MK Dons.

But Norwich City manager Bryan Gunn has refused to be drawn on speculation linking several names to Carrow Road summer moves.

“We are interested in lots of players at the moment and are aware of those who are out of contract,” said Gunn. “We've been doing our home work on players in as many different areas as possible and will be speaking to their respective agents and managers.

“I don't want to fuel or dampen any speculation, but we're working hard behind the scenes. We have got permission from the directors to get on with the process and try to move the options on offer along as far as we can.

“It's very quiet at the moment in terms of players moving, but there's lots of conversations and discussions going on.”

The City boss is also remaining tight lipped on which players will be leaving his squad before next season's kick-off on August 8.

Northern Irish star Sammy Clingan and Republic of Ireland international Wes Hoolahan have already been tipped to follow David Marshall and Lee Croft out of the Carrow Road exit, while Gunn would not confirm whether midfielder Darel Russell has told the City boss he would prefer to leave the club, rather than battle through League One next season.

“Those are conversations between me and the players and I think they should stay private,” said Gunn. “The phones have not been red hot for our players. There have been discussions but at the moment it is all speculation.

“If there is any interest in a player and a manager gets in contact, those players will have a value to our football club and we'll make sure we put the right value on them.

“But until an offer comes in, it is all total speculation.”

It is not just on the pitch that questions remain.

With City fans left to decide whether to claim their relegation rebate from the club - or leave it with the Canaries to help fund a League One promotion push - the issue of who replaces Neil Doncaster and the still-to-depart Roger Munby on the City board may well play a part in their decision.

On that, and the subject of fresh investment, Carrow Road remains silent on when or what the “fresh start” City's chief executive and chairman made way for will be.

It is believed decisions on budgets and redundancies at the club in the wake of last month's relegation were expected to by made by the end of May, while director Michael Foulger confirmed on Friday the process of looking for new directors is on going.

“We're working very hard on getting new appointments but we're taking our time to make sure they are the right ones,” said Foulger.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus