Norwich City transfer rumours: Leeds United balk at Todd Cantwell asking price
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City have scared off Leeds United after setting a £25m asking price for midfielder Todd Cantwell according to reports.
The Sun’s Alan Nixon claims Leeds remain interested in taking Cantwell to Elland Road but have been put off by the 22-year-old’s asking price.
It is understood Leeds are prepared to bide their time over Cantwell and they are willing to wait until January before assessing their options again. Derby County midfielder Louie Sibley is also under consideration by boss Marcelo Bielsa.
Leeds have already had an expensive window with the signing of Brazilian winger Raphinha for £17m last week added to the £26m they spent on Rodrigo from Valencia.
The Premier League side would like to bring in a creative midfielder but aren’t in any rush with Bielsa happy with the tools at his disposal as they look to build on an impressive start to their top-flight campaign.
You may also want to watch:
Leeds sporting director Victor Orta recently told the Yorkshire Post that Cantwell is on their radar, hinting that they could wait until January before bringing in any more signings.
MORE: Quintilla bringing different dimension to City“We analyse all the players,” he said, when pressed on whether there has been any moves for Cantwell or Sibley. “We know them really well, their clubs were our rivals, we analysed (Cantwell) in the Premier League. But it’s like a lot of players we’ve analysed.
“It’s difficult. They are players we analysed, we have information and then we need to think about the possibility. We are analysing but obviously the market is greatly reduced now. Even for us it’s difficult to evaluate clearly one point of view. The availability is reduced from the other (international) market.
- 1 City boss on Quintilla future amid Giannoulis pursuit
- 2 MATCHDAY LIVE: Can Norwich City complete the double over Cardiff?
- 3 City squad can expect long term disruption due to Covid impact
- 4 STARTING XIs: Pukki missing for City as Barden starts at Cardiff
- 5 PRESSER LIVE: Cardiff City v Norwich City - Quintilla & Mumba test positive for Covid; Krul still out
- 6 'The Norwich fans are probably fuming' - Skipp on being Mr Popular
- 7 Farke's advice for Barden ahead of red letter day
- 8 City edging closer to deal for Giannoulis
- 9 Cardiff City v Norwich City - all you need to know
- 10 Connor Southwell: Can McLean solve City’s number 10 conundrum?
“We are always focused on information, managing it, analysing players, their availability, staying updated.
“That could be useful for the winter market. We need to put in practice the usefulness of the knowledge.
“When we analysed the (international) market we detected that with the requirements we have for this position, if a player is not realistic over all the requirements, bringing in a player for the sake of bringing in a player is not clever.
“It can be worse. We prefer to bring in a good player.”