McAlear and Giurgi strikes extend City U23s’ lead at top of Division Two
- Credit: Focus Images/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City Under-23s extended their Division Two lead to five points as they beat Stoke U23s 2-1 in Premier League Two, thanks to two spectacular goals at Colney.
Strikes from midfielders Reece McAlear and Josh Giurgi earned a fourth consecutive win for David Wright’s squad, including the impressive 5-0 victory at Newport County in the EFL Trophy group stages.
McAlear cut in from the left wing in the 31st minute, selling a dummy to two Potters defenders and then curling a lovely effort from the edge of the box into the top-right corner.
Stoke equalised with a close-range header from a cross soon after. McAlear had another shot cleared off the line after the break but Irish winger Girugi grabbed the points in the 76th minute when he curled a left-footed shot into the top-left corner from the edge of the area.
Next up for the young Canaries is a trip to third-placed Leeds on Monday, October 26, who are five points behind having also played five games - with Wolves second and also five points behind City but with two games in hand.
You may also want to watch:
City U23s: McCracken (C); Vaughan, Omobamidele, Tomkinson, Nizet (Khumbeni 70); Dronfield, McAlear; Giurgi, Hondermarck, Dennis (Dickson-Peters 55); Omotoye. Unused subs: Blair (GK), Warner, Springett
- 1 Farke makes a pact with City squad
- 2 TEAM NEWS: Rupp injury setback ahead of CIty's trip to Derby
- 3 Farke misses out on monthly award... Again
- 4 'Our only concern' - Farke reveals City's promotion roadmap
- 5 Stiepermann opens up about health problems
- 6 Norwich City transfer rumours: Prolific Greek international in Canaries' sights
- 7 City boss too busy to worry about his contract at the moment
- 8 Hanley a big fan of new City star
- 9 Farke hopes 'outstanding' City midfielder can shake off injury issues
- 10 Iwan Roberts: 'That 45 minutes from Norwich City was plain ridiculous'