STARTING XIs: Buendia returns for City but Cantwell not involved against Derby
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Emi Buendia has returned to the Norwich City team but Todd Cantwell remains out in the cold for today’s game against Derby, as Ben Gibson makes his first start in place of Everton-bound Ben Godfrey.
Buendia - who continues to be linked with Fenerbahce in Turkey - and Cantwell were left out of the 1-0 loss at Bournemouth last weekend due to head coach Daniel Farke thinking the duo had been distracted by transfer speculation.
The Argentine replaces Przemek Placheta and Marco Stiepermann returns after back trouble, in place of Kenny McLean.
Cantwell trained this week as links to Leeds continued and interest from Fulham also emerged but he isn’t involved in the final game ahead of the October 16 transfer deadline, having been left out of the latest England Under-21 squad.
The Canaries are without Placheta with a hamstring issue which is minor but likely to be enough to keep home out of Poland Under-21 duty during the international break, as well as full-back Sam Byram (hamstring) and midfielder Kieran Dowell (ankle) until January after surgery on their injuries.
Opposition View: Injuries mean Cocu’s job should be safe even if Rams lose to Norwich
You may also want to watch:
The visitors have made five changes to their starting XI, moving Wayne Rooney up front and with Curtis Davies and Matt Clarke coming in to central defence, Graham Shinnie and George Evans into central midfield and Duane Holmes on to the wing.
Derby arrive looking to end a poor start to the season, losing 4-0 at home to Blackburn last weekend to make it three defeats, eight goals conceded and just one scored so far.
- 1 MATCHDAY RECAP: Huge goals for Hugill as City create daylight at the top
- 2 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-0 Championship cruise against Bristol City
- 3 Farke maps out his risk averse strategy on Pukki and Krul
- 4 The Greek view on Norwich City new boy Dimitris Giannoulis
- 5 Cherries lose more ground on Canaries in promotion race
- 6 PRESSER LIVE: Norwich City v Bristol City - Pukki still out, Krul set to return
- 7 Hot Hugill caps a season's best display for City boss
- 8 STARTING XIs: Krul returns for Canaries against Bristol City
- 9 Farke is not looking over his shoulder at City
- 10 Hugill brace ensures superb City beat Bristol
They are captained by England’s record goal-scorer Rooney, who scored 53 goals in 120 matches for the Three Lions and won five Premier League titles while scoring over 250 goals in more than 500 appearances for Manchester United.
The 34-year-old arrived in January and contributed to an initial upturn in form but eventually the Rams fell away and finished 10th, six points from the play-offs - with Phillip Cocu’s team having lost seven of their last eight league games.
NORWICH (4-2-3-1): Krul; Aarons, Zimmermann (C), Gibson, Quintilla; Rupp, Skipp; Buendia, Stiepermann, Hernandez; Pukki. Subs: McGovern (GK), Hanley, Tettey, McLean, Vrancic, Idah, Hugill
DERBY (4-2-3-1): Marshall; Byrne, Davies, Clarke, Buchanan; Shinnie, Evans; Holmes, Knight, Jozwiak; Rooney. Subs: Roos (GK), Wierik, Forsyth, Bird, Whittaker, Marriott, Hector-Ingram
REFEREE: Stuart Attwell