Summer signing doubtful for Newcastle’s trip to Carrow Road
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Newcastle boss Steve Bruce has revealed new signing Allan Saint-Maximin is a doubt for Saturday’s Premier League trip to Norwich.
The French summer signing, who was handed a debut as a substitute in last weekend's 1-0 home defeat by Arsenal, has a hamstring problem and could miss out at Carrow Road, although fellow midfielder Jonjo Shelvey is expected to shake off an ankle injury.
Bruce said: "We think Jonjo Shelvey is going to be OK. He trained yesterday and the day before. We've got a slight doubt about Allan Saint-Maximin. He's got a bit of a hamstring and we'll see how he is today.
"Apart from that, we're as we were."
Deadline day signing Andy Carroll remains several weeks away from making a second debut for the club, although Bruce is convinced he will have a significant role to play this season.
You may also want to watch:
He said: "He's doing a bit of running on the grass. We still think he is gong to be at least four, five weeks away. The big thing with Andy is not to put a timescale on him.
"He'll be ready and fit when he is, and if you try to put timescales on it, it disappoints him and disappoints everybody else. I'm sure he's going to have a big part to play.
- 1 MATCHDAY RECAP: City remain top despite Luton defeat
- 2 Paddy's Pointers: Luton Town 3 Canaries 1
- 3 Luton Town v Norwich City: Everything you need to know
- 4 Luton 3-1 City: Tired Canaries come up well short
- 5 Norwich City transfer rumours: Arsenal linked with Canaries playmaker
- 6 Bullish Farke unhappy at defending and key calls in Luton defeat
- 7 Paddy Davitt: City player ratings against Luton Town
- 8 Farke on young blood and Hatters at boiling point
- 9 'A perfect storm' - Fans have their say as injuries finally take their toll on Canaries
- 10 PRESSER LIVE: Luton Town v Norwich City
"The way I've seen him running in the week then hopefully - touch wood he stays okay - he'll be in, in the next few weeks."