Numbers game offers few clues for season
Norwich City revealed their shirt numbers for the new season yesterday – but there were few clues as to the pecking order among Paul Lambert’s squad.There are still owners being sought for numbers one and 10, while new boys Andrew Crofts and Andrew Surman have seven and 11 shirts respectively. Fellow newcomers Elliott Ward, David Fox and Steve Smith have 22, 15 and 26 respectively.
Norwich City revealed their shirt numbers for the new season yesterday - but there were few clues as to the pecking order among Paul Lambert's squad.
There are still owners being sought for numbers one and 10, while new boys Andrew Crofts and Andrew Surman have seven and 11 shirts respectively. Fellow newcomers Elliott Ward, David Fox and Steve Smith have 22, 15 and 26 respectively.
Otherwise it was pretty much a guessing game. Russell Martin takes the two shirt, which was left behind when Jon Otsemobor departed last January. Adam Drury, Matt Gill and Michael Nelson have the next three while Zak Whitbread has six.
Gary Doherty's 12 shirt is free after the defender's contract wasn't renewed, while the number 32 shirt allocated to Michael Spillane looks set to be available, with the defender on the verge of a move to Brentford. The 20 is free, with Darel Russell now a free agent.
You may also want to watch:
Skipper Grant Holt will wear nine again, Wes Hoolahan sticks with 14 and Chris Martin 16 while Korey Smith moves from 30 to Paul McVeigh's 18.
There are some minor changes further down the order, although the biggest numerical drop is Owain Tudur Jones - from seven to 30.
- 1 Soto's loan at Telstar ends as City close on work permit for USA striker
- 2 'Best team in the division' - Bristol boss hails City's stylish success
- 3 LOAN WATCH: Success for Heise and recognition for Adshead
- 4 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 2-0 Bristol City win
- 5 Iwan Roberts: Hugill showed he truly belongs at Norwich City
- 6 'We are looking to win the next game' - Barnsley boss on Norwich FA Cup visit
- 7 Dowell hoping to make more happy FA Cup memories with Canaries
- 8 Patience a virtue for City striker after injury had threatened his Premier League pursuit
- 9 Watch extended highlights of the Canaries' 2-0 win over Bristol City
2 Russell Martin
3 Adam Drury
4 Matthew Gill
5 Michael Nelson
6 Zak Whitbread
7 Andrew Crofts
8 Stephen Hughes
9 Grant Holt
11 Andrew Surman
13 Declan Rudd
14 Wes Hoolahan
15 David Fox
16 Chris Martin
17 Tom Adeyemi
18 Korey Smith
19 Simon Lappin
22 Elliott Ward
23 Oli Johnson
24 Anthony McNamee
25 Luke Daley
26 Steven Smith
27 Cody McDonald
28 George Francomb
29 Josh Dawkin
30 Owain Tudur Jones
31 Jed Steer
32 Michael Spillane
33 Jens Berthel Askou
34 Rhoys Wiggins
35 David Stephens
36 Sam Habergham