‘I love playing here’ – City striker in a happy place despite Premier League bid
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
The Premier League awaited in the summer – but Nelson Oliveira is happy to push for Norwich City to take him there instead.
Top-flight Swansea made a big push for the Portuguese striker’s signature on the final day of the August transfer window – a deal ultimately rejected by the Canaries.
Oliveira had spent the first half of 2015 with the Swans in the Premier League, on loan from Benfica – while last season’s Championship play-off finalists Reading also chased hard to recruit the 26-year-old forward.
With five league goals already in the bag from their top scorer despite an injury-hit season so far, City fans are glad Oliveira is still around ahead of their East Anglian derby date at Portman Road on Sunday – one Oliveira has already acknowledged he is looking forward to.
“Swansea made a bid on the last day as everyone knows,” said Oliveira. “I was with the national team and it was a good opportunity for me, but I spoke with the gaffer and I told him I am focused on Norwich as well.
You may also want to watch:
“I said if I stay here I will be happy because I really want to help and we all want to help put this club back in the Premier League, because I think this team deserves it.
“So I was really happy to stay here because I love playing here, because people give me support and I enjoy it here. So it was good to stay here.”
- 1 “It was high on Ben and it was a red card' - Giannoulis bang to rights for Woodgate
- 2 Spurs loanee Skipp discusses his future and potential of Canaries return
- 3 'A wonderful season' - Praise pours in for City from legends and pundits
- 4 PRESSER LIVE: City v Watford - Hanley, Pukki, Cantwell injury doubts
- 5 'I am really happy here' - City star Buendia not worried about speculation
- 6 'Big Six' join European Super League 24 hours after City's promotion
- 7 'Good riddance' - Norwich fans react to European Super League plans
- 8 WATCH: Delighted Delia Smith leads Canaries fans in Emi Buendia sing song
- 9 Paddy Davitt verdict: I'll have a P please City
- 10 Six things you might have missed after City's promotion party
Portuguese international Oliveira was loaned out six times during his decade coming through the ranks at six years at Estadio da Luz, before City paid in excess of £5m to give the striker a new permanent home.
Since then Oliveira has obliged with 17 goals from 39 appearances.