Ex-City left-back Martin Olsson joins West Brom on trial
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Former Norwich City left-back Martin Olsson has been offered a trial with Championship leaders West Bromwich Albion as he continues his search for a new club.
The Swedish international saw his spell with Swansea City come to an end last summer after the Welsh club decided not to renew the 31-year-old's contract.
Olsson joined Swansea from the Canaries back in 2017 and made 75 appearances across a two-and-a-half year spell at the Liberty Stadium.
Injuries prevented Olsson from starting regularly under former Swans boss Graham Potter and he hasn't played club football since the expiry of his contract.
Olsson has remained part of the Swedish national team set up and should he impress Albion manager Slaven Bilic, he could provide experienced competition for the left-back position.
You may also want to watch:
The West Brom boss is keen to take a closer look at Olsson and has offered him a trial period at the club.
Albion currently have ex-City loanee Kieran Gibbs and youngster Nathan Ferguson among their ranks, but the former has struggled with injury problems whilst the latter's future is uncertain.
- 1 Spurs confirm Skipp has had surgery after injury with Canaries
- 2 Could City target any free agents this summer?
- 3 City star facing possible race for Euros fitness due to injury
- 4 Former City defender lands senior role at Wolves
- 5 Tettey's heartfelt thanks to City fans
- 6 City ranked top Premier League club for fan engagement
- 7 City transfer rumours: Manchester United defender in the frame
- 8 'My mission is not over' - Klose opens door to permanent Basel stay
- 9 City confirm Tettey and Vrancic exits
- 10 'All I can say is thank you' - Webber's personal tribute to departing City duo
Olsson is seen as an experienced alternative, although no permanent deal has been offered to the 31-year-old yet.
Any contract that Albion do offer Olsson will be a short-term one, given his history with injury problems.
The Swedish defender has plenty of experience in English football in both of the top two divisions, having first made the move to the country in 2006 when joining Blackburn's youth set-up.
Olsson made 129 appearances for City and featured in the Canaries victorious play-off final victory over Middlesbrough at Wembley in 2015.