One man who has no issue with an FA Cup third round replay – Steven Whittaker hopeful of more Norwich City duty following his key role in draw with Southampton
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
There was no doubt in Steven Whittaker’s mind – Norwich City earning an FA Cup replay was good news.
After limited action this season, the Scottish full-back scored one equaliser and made the other as City came from behind twice to draw with Premier League Southampton in injury-time.
Having not been seen in a City squad since November, Saturday’s third round replay at St Mary’s on Wednesday week should represent another chance to prove his worth.
“You can look upon it two ways of course but personally for me, obviously I’ve not played a lot of games so hopefully it’s another game I can be involved in and get some match time,” said Whittaker.
“I think games of football are great whatever and it’s another game you can win and build momentum. I look upon it as a positive thing. I seem to play in the cup games so it’s hopefully another game for me and I’ll look forward to it.”
You may also want to watch:
Since earning a contract extension in the summer, Whittaker has featured six times – three of which were starts, one of coming in the Championship.
“My aim is to be in the starting XI each week and if not, I want to be on the bench and involved,” said Whittaker. “But we’ve got a lot of bodies in that changing room and it’s down to the manager how he sees each fixture and who he wants to use.
- 1 MATCHDAY LIVE: Norwich City complete their double over Cardiff
- 2 Farke reveals Buendia concerns and fitness updates on Pukki and Krul after 2-1 Cardiff win
- 3 City squad can expect long term disruption due to Covid impact
- 4 STARTING XIs: Pukki missing for City as Barden starts at Cardiff
- 5 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-1 Championship win against Cardiff City
- 6 City boss on Quintilla future amid Giannoulis pursuit
- 7 Farke's advice for Barden ahead of red letter day
- 8 Cardiff City v Norwich City - all you need to know
- 9 City edging closer to deal for Giannoulis
- 10 No Pukki no problem for Canaries as they move seven points clear at the top
“I’m not the only one (desperate for more games). There are only 11 that can play on Saturday, and I’m like everyone else. I want to be in that 11, but I can only work hard and when called upon, be ready.
“Chances are few and far between at the minute but the manager knows what I’m capable of. Hopefully I’ll get more chances to play in the second half of the season.
“It is hard but it’s just about being professional, knowing what your job is and doing it, day in, day out.
“Then when that chance comes, it’s important you try to take it.”