Gallery & videos: One year on from Norwich City’s epic promotion party
- Credit: Archant
The Championship trophy was lifted at City Hall, ‘Mad Dog’ McLean became the mayor, the city was packed for a promotion parade and two legends said goodbye in an epic day of partying as Norwich City signed off in style one year ago today.
Tens of thousands of people took to the streets of Norwich less than 24 hours since Daniel Farke’s team had added the golden seal to promotion with a 2-1 win at Aston Villa to wrap up the title.
The Canaries’ players emerged looking rather worse for wear after some well earned celebratory beers and partying overnight, before jumping on an open-top bus on the morning of a bank holiday Monday.
From there it was to City Hall, where TV presenter Jake Humphrey led proceedings from the balcony, interviewing players about their successes, leading the crowd in song and then stepping aside as Farke and his team lifted their trophy to huge cheers.
The traditional promotion parade through the city centre followed before many people started to make their way to Carrow Road to continue the party at an exhibition game to celebrate the careers of Wes Hoolahan and Russell Martin in aid of good causes.
You may also want to watch:
Canaries legends including Iwan Roberts, Darren Huckerby and Grant Holt were in action as almost 20,000 fans enjoyed the fun and games of Team Wes beating Team Russ 7-4.
That had been preceded by one last promotion lap of honour from the City players, coaches and their families before they disappeared off on their holidays and to start thinking about the Premier League - but not before one final round of Farke’s famous victory waves with fans in every stand.
- 1 'He has all the attributes" - Former coach backs Giannoulis to succeed at City
- 2 City keeper issues injury update
- 3 City's Giannoulis move enters the end game
- 4 City Q&A recap: What does Giannoulis signing mean for Quintilla?
- 5 Six things you might have missed after Norwich City's victory in Cardiff
- 6 Canaries captain hails 'outstanding' display from Hugill
- 7 'My journey has been life-changing' - Cantwell reflects on three years since his City debut
- 8 'Best team in the league' - Harris raves about Canaries
- 9 Paddy Davitt verdict: Relentless City operating on a different level
- 10 Matt Howman: Do you want Norwich City to be in the Premier League
- Take a look back on that memorable occasion with the links, images and videos above and below