WATCH: Historic moment for Hernandez as he nets first Cuba goal
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
It's been a lifetime in waiting but Norwich City winger Onel Hernandez saw his dream come true as he scored his first international goal for Cuba.
The 28-year-old made his international debut on Thursday against Guatemala despite arriving at the stadium late due to an ash cloud that halted his arrival. Hernandez was a second-half substitute but failed to prevent his country from falling to defeat.
The goal arrived in the 28th minute after a mistake in Curacao's backline as they attempted to play out from the back.
City's winger intercepted a pass before driving towards goal. Despite the angle being acute, he dispatched a rising shot into the top left corner of the net. The Cuban winger was visibly emotional as he celebrated the strike.
Curacao, managed by former Chelsea boss Guus Hiddink, took the lead after 10 minutes through Cardiff player Leandro Bacuna.
Hernandez' goal made it 1-1. This is his last game for Cuba before flying back to Norfolk to prepare for City's Good Friday game against Preston North End.
- 1 NORWICH CITY ARE PROMOTED TO THE PREMIER LEAGUE
- 2 PROMOTION LIVE: Cherries and red card ruin City's party
- 3 Farke braced for summer of speculation amid Frankfurt links
- 4 Banning orders and revenge mission wide of the mark for City chief
- 5 Farke's personal message to City fans
- 6 'Mission Accomplished' - Norwich City fans celebrate promotion
- 7 City’s big chance to prove there is ‘one team that stands out’
- 8 Operation Bounce Back: The story of City's promotion success
- 9 'I wanted to bring Norwich back' - Emi reveals why he stayed at City
- 10 How Trent and Walker are shaping City star's progression