Partick give young winger permission to hold transfer talks with Canaries
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Norwich City’s prolonged chase of Partick Thistle winger Aidan Fitzpatrick is set to be sealed, with the Scottish side confirming that the youngster has been given permission to speak to the Canaries.
The 18-year-old scored seven goals in 30 games in all competitions for the Scottish Championship side last season and was initially said to be at the centre of a tug-of-war between Norwich and Rangers in January.
At the time City had reportedly offered an initial £150,000 as part of an overall deal of £400,000 but Partick had resisted.
Reports emerged again in recent weeks that the initial offer had risen to £300,000 but still wasn't enough for Thistle. However, the Daily Record now report that a £350,000 deal has been struck, with add-on fees and a sell-on clause involved
Partick have subsequently released a statement confirming permission has been granted, with chief executive Gerry Britton saying: "To be honest, we want to keep Aidan at the club and had already turned down several bids from Norwich, the only club to approach us about him.
"However, he and his advisers believe that this latest offer is too good to turn down. Having made it clear there was nothing we could do to change their minds, with great reluctance we agreed to let him speak to them, as we believe he still could have made further progress at Thistle.
"Aidan will now head south for a medical and if that is okay, the deal will be concluded thereafter."
You may also want to watch:
The club's statement adds: "Once confirmed, the deal would provide an unexpected but significant financial boost for the club in the short and long term.
"For now, it would allow the board to provide additional funds to the manager as he closes in on key targets for the season ahead, as well as funding a potential replacement for Aidan."
- 1 Soto's loan at Telstar ends as City close on work permit for USA striker
- 2 'Best team in the division' - Bristol boss hails City's stylish success
- 3 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 2-0 Bristol City win
- 4 LOAN WATCH: Success for Heise and recognition for Adshead
- 5 Iwan Roberts: Hugill showed he truly belongs at Norwich City
- 6 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-0 Championship cruise against Bristol City
- 7 'We are looking to win the next game' - Barnsley boss on Norwich FA Cup visit
- 8 Hugill thrilled with brace and determined to help keep City on track
- 9 Watch extended highlights of the Canaries' 2-0 win over Bristol City
- 10 'Great header' - Hugill's goal earns seal of approval from Holt
Fitzpatrick would join goalkeeper Archie Mair in joining City's U23 squad this summer, who was signed from Aberdeen last month and committed to a long-term contract.