Partick give young winger permission to hold transfer talks with Canaries
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Norwich City’s prolonged chase of Partick Thistle winger Aidan Fitzpatrick is set to be sealed, with the Scottish side confirming that the youngster has been given permission to speak to the Canaries.
The 18-year-old scored seven goals in 30 games in all competitions for the Scottish Championship side last season and was initially said to be at the centre of a tug-of-war between Norwich and Rangers in January.
At the time City had reportedly offered an initial £150,000 as part of an overall deal of £400,000 but Partick had resisted.
Reports emerged again in recent weeks that the initial offer had risen to £300,000 but still wasn't enough for Thistle. However, the Daily Record now report that a £350,000 deal has been struck, with add-on fees and a sell-on clause involved
Partick have subsequently released a statement confirming permission has been granted, with chief executive Gerry Britton saying: "To be honest, we want to keep Aidan at the club and had already turned down several bids from Norwich, the only club to approach us about him.
"However, he and his advisers believe that this latest offer is too good to turn down. Having made it clear there was nothing we could do to change their minds, with great reluctance we agreed to let him speak to them, as we believe he still could have made further progress at Thistle.
"Aidan will now head south for a medical and if that is okay, the deal will be concluded thereafter."
You may also want to watch:
The club's statement adds: "Once confirmed, the deal would provide an unexpected but significant financial boost for the club in the short and long term.
"For now, it would allow the board to provide additional funds to the manager as he closes in on key targets for the season ahead, as well as funding a potential replacement for Aidan."
- 1 Onel Hernandez reveals reason he got a Norwich City tattoo
- 2 'I have to say I had more than one tear in my eye' - choked Farke on City duo's exit
- 3 Former City coach departs Ipswich Town
- 4 PRESSER LIVE: Barnsley v City - No fresh injuries. Skipp and Pukki will be part of celebrations
- 5 What does Pukki injury mean for City's transfer plans?
- 6 Why a Premier League gamble makes no sense for Farke
- 7 Farke reveals title celebration curbs
- 8 'Perfection' - Dowell on getting back to the big time with Canaries
- 9 Why Norwich City won't be a soft touch in the Premier League
- 10 When will Norwich City learn their Premier League fixtures?
Fitzpatrick would join goalkeeper Archie Mair in joining City's U23 squad this summer, who was signed from Aberdeen last month and committed to a long-term contract.