Peterborough could challenge Norwich for Jackson
Norwich City could face competition from along the A47 if they are serious over their interest in Gillingham striker Simeon Jackson. Relegated Peterborough United are said to be keen on the 23-year-old, who, it has been revealed, has already rejected a new contract offer at Priestfield.
Norwich City could face competition from along the A47 if they are serious over their interest in Gillingham striker Simeon Jackson.
Relegated Peterborough United are said to be keen on the 23-year-old, who, it has been revealed, has already rejected a new contract offer at Priestfield.
Posh boss Gary Johnson is prepared to break the club transfer record of �500,000 for Grimsby defender Ryan Bennett in January, according to their director of football, Barry Fry.
City have been heavily linked with the Canadian international, although Gillingham insist they haven't been tempted by any interest.
You may also want to watch:
However, the situation is at a delicate stage: Jackson has a year remaining on his contract and Gills chairman must decide whether to stick or twist - and risk losing him for nothing.
Jackson has already turned down a new deal, and Gills chairman Paul Scally admits he now has a dilemma on his hands.
- 1 Soto's loan at Telstar ends as City close on work permit for USA striker
- 2 Norwich City transfer rumours: Buendia 'talks' over summer Arsenal move
- 3 PRESSER LIVE: Barnsley v Norwich City - McLean tests positive for Covid-19
- 4 'Best team in the division' - Bristol boss hails City's stylish success
- 5 Iwan Roberts: Hugill showed he truly belongs at Norwich City
- 6 'I didn't know if I'd make it' - City academy product ends over 1,000 days of injury woe
- 7 Dowell hoping to make more happy FA Cup memories with Canaries
- 8 Patience a virtue for City striker after injury had threatened his Premier League pursuit
- 9 'We are looking to win the next game' - Barnsley boss on Norwich FA Cup visit
- 10 LOAN WATCH: Success for Heise and recognition for Adshead
“I haven't had any credible bids for Simeon Jackson so far,” he said.
“I have been in discussion with his agent and I've told him we'll be looking forward to seeing him on July 1. That's as far as it's gone.
“We did offer him a new deal last season, but he turned it down. I don't think he would sign a new deal at this moment in time.
“He has a year left on his contract and he'll either see it out or he won't. He was part of the team that got us down and he'll be part of the team who gets us up unless someone comes in with an offer that is acceptable to the club.”
Lambert has stocked up on three midfielders and two defenders since the successful League One campaign came to an end, but has admitted he needs to bolster the striking ranks, where Grant Holt and Chris Martin were the only regular starting candidates last season.