Player ratings: James Maddison shines during Norwich City’s pre-season friendly win at Lowestoft Town
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Canaries correspondent David Freezer provides his ratings following Norwich City’s second friendly of pre-season, beating Lowestoft 5-1.
The Trawlerboys had taken the lead in the 21st minute through Travis Cole but goals from Cameron Jerome, Steven Naismith and Marley Watkins sent City into the break with a 3-1 lead.
Substitutes Nelson Oliveira and Mario Vrancic then completed a reasonably routine win for Daniel Farke’s team, who continue their Championship preparations away against League Two side Stevenage on Tuesday night.
MAN OF THE MATCH
You may also want to watch:
Daniel Farke’s preferred formation suits the former Coventry City playmaker’s blossoming talents very nicely.
In the thick of the action throughout the first half and constantly looking to get City on the front foot. Really should have scored at least one but starting to show glimpses of huge potential that made him such a sought-after prospect.
- 1 PRESSER LIVE: Norwich City v Bristol City - Pukki still out, Krul set to return
- 2 City confirm Dimitris Giannoulis deal
- 3 Buendia to Arsenal. Forget it, says City boss Farke
- 4 PROFILE: Raw determination and loan education helped City's incoming left-back emerge at PAOK
- 5 City legend details Webber conversation before sporting director appointment
- 6 Bullish Robins' boss pledges to mix it with Canaries
- 7 Spurs loanee Skipp is a centre-back's dream, according to City skipper
- 8 The Greek view on Norwich City new boy Dimitris Giannoulis
- 9 'Our own Heracles at left-back' - City fans delighted as Giannoulis completes loan move
- 10 Matt Howman: Do you want Norwich City to be in the Premier League
Michael McGovern – 6 – Should have done better to deny the scrappy Lowestoft goal.
Yanic Wildschut – 6.5 – Played out of position again but did his best to get forward.
Christoph Zimmermann – 6.5 – Gave away the free-kick which led to Lowestoft’s goal, but calm display otherwise.
Ben Godfrey – 6.5 – Decent distribution and good feet kept him out of trouble after being move to centre-back in place of Timm Klose.
Jamal Lewis – 7 – Lively, won the equalising penalty, pushed forward and linked well with Josh Murphy on the left.
Harrison Reed – 6.5 – New boy was calm and controlled as the defensive midfield pivot but didn’t show much ambition with his passing.
Marley Watkins – 7 – Livewire, could have had a hat-trick, took up good positions and worked hard.
Steven Naismith – 6.5 – Well-taken goal and a typically tenacious display from the Scot.
James Maddison – 7.5 – City’s driving force in the first half, creative, setting the tone going forward.
Josh Murphy – 7 – Energetic and a wonderful assist with the outside of his foot for Watkins’ goal.
Cameron Jerome – 6.5 – Cool penalty but was denied an early goal when one-on-one with the home keeper.
Remi Matthews (for McGovern, 46) – 6 – Quiet shift, one good hold from a free-kick.
Harry Toffolo (for Lewis, 46) – 6.5 – Assist, pushed forward well, little to do defensively.
Mario Vrancic (for Maddison, 46) – 7 – Superb finish, classy operator, more good set-pieces.
Alex Pritchard (for Naismith, 46) – 6.5 – Bright, deserved a goal, eased past the opposition.
Carlton Morris (for Murphy, 46) – 7 – Bundle of energy, assist and good pace.
Nelson Oliveira (for Jerome, 46) – 6.5 – Calm finish, a little too relaxed at times.