Player watch: James Husband shows signs of improvement in Norwich City’s victory at Brentford in Carabao Cup third round
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
This evening’s player watch kept a close eye on left-back James Husband as he was restored to Norwich City’s starting line-up for a 3-1 win at Brentford in the third round of the Carabao Cup.
2 – Rises high above Florian Jozefzoon to win a commanding early header from a long kick forward from Bees keeper Luke Daniels.
9 – 1-0 – Husband bursts over halfway on the left, lays off to Josh Murphy but keeps going forward to buy his team-mate space, who plays through to Marley Watkins, who is barged over by centre-back Chris Mepham – which Marios Vrancic calmly rolls home.
19 – Picked out in space on the left by Trybull and plays a fine ball down the wing to Murphy, who runs into Mepham but penalty appeals are waved away.
20 – Another burst forward but poor cross from the former Middlesbrough man, which Vrancic keeps alive to win a free-kick, which he fires just wide from the edge of the box.
You may also want to watch:
23 – Wes Hoolahan finds Watkins on the edge of the box, the forward plays Husband into the left channel but Mepham tackles back to put the ball out for a corner as the full-back tries to cut inside for a shot.
26 – Jozefzoon tries a step-over as he aims to deliver a cross from the bye-line but Husband slides in to put the ball out for a throw.
- 1 Could Canaries benefit from Chelsea appointing Tuchel?
- 2 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries make bid for Peterborough ace
- 3 Former Arsenal and Norwich midfielder set to sign for Saints
- 4 Arsenal end chase in City star with Real Madrid signing
- 5 Paddy Davitt: City's bold call and the status quo
- 6 'He came crying' - Former coach details Giannoulis left-back conversion
- 7 'There isn't one team that stands out' - Bees' boss on promotion fight
- 8 The story of Alex Neil and Jordan Hugill's trainers
- 9 Boro set to sign Premier League forward ahead of Norwich trip
- 10 Connor Southwell: Sorting Todd’s contract is City’s next big mission
44 – Wins an important header against Jozefzoon as Brentford try to counter after a City attack breaks down.
50 – 2-2 – Calm header down to Murphy from a goal-kick, who cuts inside and finds Hoolahan, who is brought down on the edge of the box and Vrancic bends home a free-kick from 25 yards.
55 – Dodgy back-pass to Gunn, bouncing, but the keeper controls calmly and clears.
57 – Charges to the bye-line and pulls back a low cross, which finds its way to Harrison Reed with keeper Daniels out of his goal, only for the Southampton loanee to blast just wide.
81 – Fine interception to halt cross from the right from Bees substitute Henrik Dalsgaard.
Verdict: The left-back’s best game in a City shirt yet, full of running and desire to get forward, as well as reasonably solid against the occasional threat on his side.
Rating: 7 out of 10