Player watch: Josh Murphy has an off night as Burton Albion frustrate Norwich City in 0-0 draw at Carrow Road
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
This evening’s player watch followed the fortunes of winger Josh Murphy during Norwich City’s frustrating 0-0 draw with struggling Burton Albion at Carrow Road.
2 – Needlessly fouls Kyle McFadzean trying to get goal-side of the Burton defender in the left corner.
10 – Angus Gunn claims a corner and launches a long kick through the middle that Murphy chases, sandwiched by full-backs Stephen Warnock and John Brayford in the air on the edge of the box, but no foul is given.
20 – Alex Tettey spreads left to the 22-year-old, who cuts on to his right foot in trademark fashion but thumps a shot over the bar from 25 yards.
You may also want to watch:
23 – Wes Hoolahan releases the winger to get to the bye-line on the left but his thumping cross is straight into the chest of keeper Stephen Bywater.
44 – Mario Vrancic shapes to shoot to the right of the box but rolls across to Murphy on the left, he moves the ball onto his left to unleash a shot, which is charged down by three on-rushing defenders.
- 1 Ex-City star Murphy boosts hopes of new deal
- 2 Former City loanee set for new deal at Borussia Dortmund
- 3 Candid Cantwell opens up on struggles during 'whirlwind' summer
- 4 'I don't want the season to end' - City ace hitting top form
- 5 Six things you might have missed after City's win at Derby
- 6 City defender likened to a 'young Rio Ferdinand'
- 7 Lee Payne: Bruce has got it wrong over Norwich City and Premier League
- 8 City Q&A: One down. One to go
- 9 Chris Goreham: No-one should question just how good City have been
- 10 Record-breaking week continues for Canaries
50 – Trybull spreads left to Murphy and the winger charges forward, cutting inside Lucas Akins but Brayford plays the ball off his shins to win a goal-kick.
53 – Stipermann plays a ball down the left which Murphy controls and wins a corner off Luke Murphy but Tettey can’t quite make contact with Vrancic’s set-piece from the left.
58 – Golden chance for the winger, played through by a defence-splitting Hoolahan chance but is thwarted by Bywater’s legs from six yards.
61 – Hoolahan threads the youngster into the left channel and his low cross loops up but Oliveira can’t make contact.
64 – Murphy is played down the left by Stipeermann but touch lets him down and then foul is given against him for tug of Brayford’s shirt.
76 – Freed down the left by Stiepermann, heavy touch and thumps a cross that is too strong for everyone. Vrancic returns and Murphy slides in at the back post and clips the post but doesn’t make proper contact.
90+4 – Night summed up by dreadful shot from long range as the clock ticks down.
Verdict: Not the most productive of nights for Murphy as Burton sat deep and thwarted balls into the box.
Rating: Six out of 10