Player watch: Nelson Oliveira shows why he is so crucial to the Norwich City cause with opening goal against QPR
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Our player watch focussed on striker Nelson Oliveira this evening, who returned to the starting line-up with a bang, scoring the crucial first goal as Norwich City beat QPR 2-0 at Carrow Road.
9 – Angus Gunn takes a goal-kick long and Oliveira is eased off the ball too easily by Nedum Onuoha.
10 – Mario Vrancic hooks the ball behind the Rangers defence and Oliveira gives chase but is beaten to the ball by keeper Alex Smithies.
13 – Wes Hoolahan plays the striker into the left channel in the penalty area and wants the ball returned but Oliveira lashes a shot into the side-netting from 10 yards on the turn.
You may also want to watch:
15 – Ivo Pinto crosses from the right and Oliveira shapes to hit a bicycle kick but can only fire against the chest of Joel Lynch inside the box.
19 – Gunn kicks long again but this time the Portuguese front-man is strong enough to hold off Onuoha and tees up Josh Murphy, but the winger’s shot from the edge of the box is held.
- 1 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Premier League-bound Canaries' 3-1 defeat against Bournemouth
- 2 PROMOTION LIVE: Cherries and red card ruin City's party
- 3 “It was high on Ben and it was a red card' - Giannoulis bang to rights for Woodgate
- 4 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 3-1 Bournemouth defeat
- 5 City players and fans celebrate promotion on social media
- 6 Farke savours sweet Premier League promotion after rollercoaster ride
- 7 'Amazing' - Buendia hails City's special promotion achievement
- 8 NORWICH CITY ARE PROMOTED TO THE PREMIER LEAGUE
- 9 Norwich City fans gather at Carrow Road to celebrate promotion
- 10 WATCH: Delighted Delia Smith leads Canaries fans in Emi Buendia sing song
24 – James Maddison nicks possession and Oliveira streaks through but can’t get past Onuoha and has no support.
38 – Heads away Luke Freeman’s corner from the right.
Half-time: Norwich 0 QPR 0
48 – GOAL – QPR give the ball away and Vrancic plays in the striker with a delicate short pass, who calmly strokes the ball home low on his left foot under Smithies for 1-0.
53 – Oliveira picks up the ball on the edge of the box but lashes an awful shot which nearly makes the top tier of the River End.
67 – Superb skill to the left of the box leaves Freeman on his backside but sloppily lashes a long cross in from the right which is nowhere near a team-mate.
82 – GOAL – Reed’s screamer doubles the lead for City.
85 – REPLACED – With the crowd still buzzing from the second goal, Oliveira receives a standing ovation as he is replaced by Marco Stiepermann, shaking hands and hugging head coach Daniel Farke as he goes off.
Full-time: Norwich 2 QPR 0
Verdict: Decent evening’s work capped off by a quality and vital finish that shows why he is City’s first-choice striker, firmly finishing his Fulham furore.